You are here

MC2000 MIDI controller battery conundrum

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

MC2000 MIDI controller battery conundrum

Postby Wurlitzer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi all

I'm attempting to replace the battery in an old Viscount-Oberheim MC2000 MIDI controller keyboard. The manual says it's user-serviceable and the battery is a standard Maxell CR2032 coin thingy. So far so easy, except -

The battery has an "arm" holding it in place and I can't work out how to physically get it out! I've never seen a battery fitted like this before - I've only dealt with these in computer motherboards where they have a simple spring mechanism that pops them out. I've tried gently lifting the arm but it didn't want to lift and I just bent the end of it a little. Then I googled and found out you're not supposed to do that. One site said to press on the plastic button to the side (there isn't one). Another said to slide it out. If I try to slide it to the left it resists moving, and the metal arm moves with it suggesting it's not actually coming out but I'm potentially bending something I shouldn't. (And anyway, there's an obstruction a few mm to the left of it - see photo.) If I try sliding it up or down it doesn't budge.

I emailed Viscount tech support but got no answer. Phoned them and got a message saying they're on holiday till end of August! Any ideas?

Here's the bugger:

Wurlitzer
Regular

Re: MC2000 MIDI controller battery conundrum

Postby Kwackman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:52 pm

I've deleted my original message here as I didn't realise that the battery is soldered in and my advice, if followed, would have done damage!

Any passing mod feel free to delete this message, ta,
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby DGL. » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:07 pm

That battery is unfortunately soldered in, the arm over the top is welded to the battery.
So you will need to desolder the battery and either fit another soldered in battery or replace it with a battery holder and standard battery.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Wurlitzer » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks!

I don't have the skillz to do that, but I may know a man who does...
Wurlitzer
Regular