You are here

Building a soundproof booth / tent in the house

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Building a soundproof booth / tent in the house

Postby Adela » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a professional violinist and recently,I started taking singing lessons as well. I live in a small studio,in a flat,and practicing there is impossible because I would drive my neighbours crazy,plus,I like to feel I have my own prwctice space where nobody can hear me so I can repeat the same thing million times if I wish to.
Since I am renting,I dont want to invest in soundproofing the place and I wouldnt even receive permission so I was thinking to go for a much cheaper option,which is:
- building a PVC frame,big enough mor me to prwctice inside comfortably
- completely seal the air gaps by covering the frame with the side panels of a garden tent,and the ceiling as well.
- after I have completely sealed it,add from the inside two duvets for more soundblocking and maybe a blanket as well.I would hand them from the inside,like curtains.
- on the inside,on the duvets,I would cover them completely,100/%,with accoustic foam,which I would glue on the duvets.
-double layer carpet on the floor,maybe also 4mm cork pieces on the floor,under the carpet.
- lastely,I would make a hole in the back and through a tube ,add some ventilation with an electric fan. After that,I would completely seal any air gap remaining from the ventilation space.

All together,as I calculated,it would all cost around 300$,maybe 400$ if I need more foam.

Do you think this might be a viable solution? Is it realistic what I want to do? Would it decrease the levels of the music I produce with about 50/% at least,so that I can practice without worries even later,in the evenings?

Thanks a lot.
Adela

Re: Building a soundproof booth / tent in the house

Postby James Perrett » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:02 pm

While this would give you a dead sounding space to play in, it would do very little to stop the sound from leaking out. The only way to stop sound from leaking out is using mass and that's why all the movable soundproof booths that you see are very heavy. The best advice is to think about moving to a place that is more suited to playing - maybe one with a room away from the rest of the building or next to a stairwell so that there are no neighbours right next door.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:12 am

I sympathize! Few people who don't play an instrument understand how much practice it takes for getting the technique just so!

Tricky proposition tough, as James says soundproofing stuff is hard and in small space near impossible.

However... it does not help for the singing, but have you thought about an electric violin? While the sound of course won't be the same, for one-million-times-repeats of that tricky passage it could be effective as you can play with headphones and make no sound whatsoever.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:20 pm

CS70 wrote:However... it does not help for the singing, but have you thought about an electric violin? While the sound of course won't be the same, for one-million-times-repeats of that tricky passage it could be effective as you can play with headphones and make no sound whatsoever.

I'd second that suggestion, and suspect buying an electric violin would end up considerably cheaper than building any form of soundproofing that's effective :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker