You are here

Building A Mastering Room

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Building A Mastering Room

Postby Uncle Freddie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi,

A few years ago, I purchased an industrial building through a tax auction. As my first aspiration for the building, I would like to build a mastering room.

The build plan is to apply every standard acoustical design principle required to give me a neutral sounding room: no parallel walls, a high sloping ceiling, absolutely no room resonances, no standing waves, no reflections, no flutter echo, etc.

Before adding a single piece of electronic equipment, the room must be acoustically neutral, period.

1. To this end: what is the typical first step? Make an appointment with an acoustical architect or consultant?

2. About how much should working with architects and consultants cost?

3. Just to complete a design on paper, about how long might it take when working with architects and consultants?

Thanks,
Fred
Uncle Freddie
Poster

Re: Building A Mastering Room

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:59 pm

I can only answer your first question but, for that one at least, yes, get professional help. They will answer all the other questions for you.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Building A Mastering Room

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:10 am

Just to add to Sam's good response...

... and if they're an architect, make sure they really do know about acoustics. I've come across two in my time responsible for newbuilds who assured me that there was no cause for concern as they were well-experienced in making sure rooms were acoustically 'good'.

And when I finally got in there, there was indeed cause for concern!

Acoustic Consultants: ask for reference sites and a list of all their projects in the last two/three years. Then contact one that isn't a reference site... ;)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster