You are here

Belden on interconnect cable design

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Belden on interconnect cable design

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:08 am

Ah yes, was that the German study involving cyclosporine A? Very interesting result that, tied in with strengthening neural pathways IIRC.

As I understand it, they didn't just continue to take sugar-pills and continue to show positive outcomes, rather the patients were subjected to a mild form or operant conditioning to associate (via the flavour of) the actual treatment with the placebo - thus allowing reduced dosage to have as much effect, or to strengthen the effect of the normal dosage. And all this while being fully aware of what was taking place!

So . . . forming and training neural pathways.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this all somehow ties into the other recent discovery that we do indeed have neural tissue extending into our gut, and a surprisingly large amount of it.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:49 am

James Perrett wrote:I'll bet your Bryston only went wrong because it hadn't been in for its 10 year service ;)

(No, I didn't know about the need for regular servicing either until someone refused to buy an amp from a friend of mine because it didn't have any service history).

:D They were winding your friend up! There is no requirement for ten-year servicing on Bryston equipment. The warranty terms are quite straightforward and are set out on the company website.

Bryston wrote:Bryston analog audio products and loud speakers are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects for twenty (20) years from the original date of manufacture....
Bryston Digital products and cables are warranted for five (5) years from the original date of manufacture.... Bryston products having motorized moving parts, excluding motorized volume controls, are warranted for three years from the original date of manufacture.... Proof of purchase in the form of a copy of the bill of sale from an authorized Bryston Dealer/Distributor must be presented to obtain warranty service.

So, the only requirements are that the product was purchased from an authorised Bryston dealers, and proof of purchase is available. They also insist that original shipping cartons are used...

There is no ongoing regular service period...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote::D They were winding your friend up! There is no requirement for ten-year servicing on Bryston equipment. The warranty terms are quite straightforward and are set out on the company website.

I was thinking of the brand that can't be named ;)

I'm sure that Bryston (and most other amplifier brands) are fine for much more than 10 years. It just seems that this particular brand have found yet another way to extract more money from audiophiles.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:06 pm

:o Er... Okay....

But that Wiltshire company only provides a maximum of 5 years warranty anyway, so I've still no idea what your friend is talking about ...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:49 pm

They do look really swish though!

Which seems to be the main thing the audiofool crowd are influenced by, outside of sciency sounding marketingwank.

I should probably say that my friends system didn't sound bad per se - I mean, compared to most domestic playback systems it's a fantastic setup, and I wouldn't turn my nose up if someone were to donate one in my direction!

Those bloody Wilson speakers though . . . NFW. Just fugly, nasty looking devices. I will say the cabinets are extraordinarily solid. They might look plasticky, what with the "automotive quality finish", but they're seriously rigid. I just can't think of any good reason for that crappy (non-flared) port, given the volume of the enclosure.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:26 pm

I love the 'accessory' midrange and HF level-tweaking resistors on the rear panel mounted on aluminium heat sinks -- alternative values costing $200 a pop!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:26 pm

Ahhhh, but they come in a fetching felt-lined wooden presentation box Hugh, accompanied by a rather thick book of sciency-sounding twatbollocks . . . ask me how I know.

They're bloody big too, you could probably install them in an electrical substation, so the heatsink may in fact be necessary.

200 a pop though??? That's . . . words fail me. Quite a few of 'em in the box too, along with a bunch of what looked like weights, which while I cannot fathom the use thereof, were also probably expensive. I had no idea just HOW expensive at the time, and I'm glad I didn't as I suspect my reaction might have guranteed I never get invited back! Not that there's any guarantee I will.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Wonks wrote:Even when people are told they are taking placebos, they still feel/do better than when taking nothing.
And the same placebo will be more effective if prescribed by a doctor than if given by a dispensing chemist.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:33 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Wonks wrote:Even when people are told they are taking placebos, they still feel/do better than when taking nothing.
And the same placebo will be more effective if prescribed by a doctor than if given by a dispensing chemist.

I take Dr H Robjohns' Phantastic Phix-all Placebo Pills and I've never felt better.

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby jaminem » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:07 pm

"In the end, the new design is the highest resolution, lowest distortion, and most linear loudspeaker in the history of the WATT/Puppy platform."

In my house a puppy platform is a bean bag.

It doesn't sound that great to be honest, loads of high mid crunch, no treble to speak of and zero bass. A bit like Bose.
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Previous