You are here

Best acoustic panels for small room?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Best acoustic panels for small room?

Postby Jonarin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Who has experience to share in hanging acoustical wall panels to treat a small (12'x12') practice room? Not looking for absolute sound-proofing as much as deadening echo off bare walls and tile floor. Do you have a particular brand, or type, to recommend, or one to stay away from?
Jonarin

Re: Best acoustic panels for small room?

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:52 pm

I have a similar sized room and built my own. The total cost was about £300 but over £100 of that was for 'Cara' fabric from Gik Acoustics. If I was buying ready made I would buy Gik's own panels https://gikacoustics.co.uk

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:26 pm

The most cost-effective option by far is to build your own panels using 2 -- or better, 4 -- inches depth of RW3 mineral wool (or similar) in a simple wooden frame spaced from the wall by the same distance as the depth of mineral wool. Wrap in acoustic fabric. Job done.

If you want to buy ready made, it really depends where in the world you are. In the UK you could look at GIK, RPG Europe, Blue Frog, and various others. They all make decent mineral-wool style broadband traps. similar options exist in the US.

And then there are the foam options from Auralex and others... Not so effective, but easier to mount and available in a range of patterns and colours.

Be aware, though, that while these products will help with the 'echoes' in the mid and huh frequencies, they tend not to do much for low frequencies, and so the room's bass response will tend to be 'lumpy'. In a square room like yours there will always be a tendency to have a distinct lack of bass in the middle of the room.

Proper bass trapping can help a lot, but to be effective it will need to be BIG and thus eat into the room space quite significantly.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The most cost-effective option by far is to build your own panels using 2 -- or better, 4 -- inches depth of RW3 mineral wool (or similar) in a simple wooden frame spaced from the wall by the same distance as the depth of mineral wool. Wrap in acoustic fabric. Job done.

If you want to buy ready made, it really depends where in the world you are. In the UK you could look at GIK, RPG Europe, Blue Frog, and various others. They all make decent mineral-wool style broadband traps. similar options exist in the US.

And then there are the foam options from Auralex and others... Not so effective, but easier to mount and available in a range of patterns and colours.

Be aware, though, that while these products will help with the 'echoes' in the mid and huh frequencies, they tend not to do much for low frequencies, and so the room's bass response will tend to be 'lumpy'. In a square room like yours there will always be a tendency to have a distinct lack of bass in the middle of the room.

Proper bass trapping can help a lot, but to be effective it will need to be BIG and thus eat into the room space quite significantly.

Says Hugh sitting in front of two of the biggest such bass traps he's ever seen in a domestic setting....

:D
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:39 pm

But boy do they work well! :-D
Hugh Robjohns

Postby DanDan » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Fireproof fabric is expensive. Unless you have the space and tools for DIY, go GIK.
There are modern fibre batts which are non smelly and non itchy. I would go for 100KG Electrical wiring tray is a good alternative to wood for framing.
DanDan
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:58 pm

You can use painters dust sheets if you want to be cheap, pretty sure they will be fire retardant (but do check to be sure) but Cara fabric is around £10 a metre at, IIRC 1.6m wide, so about £10 per panel in my case and it makes a huge difference in the quality of the finished panels. I used wood, I've heard of steel being suggested but can't think how you'd fix the fabric to it. RW3 is easy to use and not smelly or itchy (well only a little when you`re cutting it). My 10 panels (inc three large bass traps_ cost a little over £300, Gik broad band absorber panels are around £60 each so the saving of DIY is substantial if you have the time and fairly basic skills.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: I've heard of steel being suggested but can't think how you'd fix the fabric to it.

The instructions for that would be a riveting read.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:27 pm

As usual the Wabbit has nailed it :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:48 pm

You guys... Always screwing around... :-)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Well, I'm now glued to this thread.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Just stick at it Wonky :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:20 pm

This thread dovetails nicely with the studio SOS I'm writing at the moment. :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Looking forward to it already :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:00 pm

I've recently witnessed really good results from old towels layered in a frame. Not sure about the fire risks, though...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:33 pm

I suspect the Original Poster has bolted (seriously ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:47 pm

The Elf wrote:I've recently witnessed really good results from old towels layered in a frame. Not sure about the fire risks, though...

+1

A friend bought a bunch of them and used in a drum room and they did work pretty well.

The fun part tough is that he bought the towels new so in the end I think they costed more than ready made rockwool panels! :D :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Jorge » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:46 am

But they do give that dry sound to the room.

I thought the concrete sense of humor was a genetic defect I inherited from my dad, but it seems to have become an epidemic here...
Jorge
Regular