You are here

Acoustic Foam On Celing?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Acoustic Foam On Celing?

Postby JRocker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:28 am

Hi,
I've placed some acoustic foam around spots in my room for acoustic treatment, and was wondering, do I need to place some acoustic foam on my ceiling too?
Star
JRocker
Regular

Re: Acoustic Foam On Celing?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:09 am

Yes is the short answer.

Where you place it depends on what you do in your room, if it's mixing/mastering the the mirror points are important (the points where, if your walls/ceiling were large mirrors, you'd see your monitor speakers reflected). If it's tracking live instruments then 30-50% coverage around the playing/recording position.

Be aware that (with the odd exception) foam tiles don't make the most effective acoustic treatment as they are invariably too thin but any acoustic treatment is better than none.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby JRocker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks Sam, just need it for recording vocals and acoustic guitar, but more so for vocals.
JRocker
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:42 am

How do you mix your tracks? If on speakers then that is probably as important as treating the recording area.

Don't forget the duvet trick for recording vocals (and acoustic guitar too though a hard floor can help retain some of the sparkle in that case). A couple of heavy duvets hung from boom mic stands around the singer/mic will probably be more effective than a few panels on the walls.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:16 pm

JRocker wrote:Hi,
I've placed some acoustic foam around spots in my room for acoustic treatment, and was wondering, do I need to place some acoustic foam on my ceiling too?
Star

I agree with the other replies, but so remember that rather than gluing foam to the ceiling, it's significantly more effective to hang those foam panels a few inches below the ceiling, so they work down to lower frequencies.

That's what I did!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Jorge » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:36 am

Has anyone used high absorption acoustic tiles on the ceiling of your studio to reduce reflections? I put a few up in the mirror locations for reflections from the nearfield monitors off the ceiling to the listening location. Subjectively they seemed to work well but I didn't do any pre- post- reflection measurements. With 10" joists the ceiling tiles are about 14" down from the flooring above, although the tiles are only 3/4" thick. They are very delicate and friable though and need careful installation.
Jorge
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:55 am

Killing reflections off the ceiling can be very helpful, especially if you have a hard, reflective floor. However, our brains are very used to hearing reflections from the ceiling and ignoring them... ;-)

In my room, which has a laminate floor, I've hung a 4-inch* broadband absorber panel about four inches down from the celing.

H

* updated... my idea of 'an inch' is a bit variable depending on circumstances...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:12 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:In my room, which has a laminate floor, I've hung a 2-inch broadband absorber panel about four inches down from the ceiling.

In my room (thin carpet plus a large rug on the floor) I've hung two 4-inch foam panels (each 4' by 2') 4 inches below the ceiling on cords.

So I've effectively got a 4' by 4' ceiling cloud at the reflection points, and it's very effective at mopping up reflections and smoothing out room modes down to a few hundred Hz.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Sam got it in one - in short, yes.

Also keep in mind that for mixing you really want to have the least possible reflections at the mixing seat, so that the sound that reaches your ears - insofar it's possible - is solely the sound of the monitors.

For recording many acoustic instruments (guitars, strings, flutes, sax etc), a certain amount of reflections can be pretty useful. What you want to avoid is that metallic ringing that you can hear if you clap your hands a little hard - and treating the ceiling over a reflective surface as hardwood is is a good way to achieve just that.

With voice, it is possible to use reflections to shape the tone, but since so much tone-shaping is possible in post these days - the easy way is to record as dry as possible and all the reverberation during mixing.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:02 pm

I thought it was mirrors on the ceiling and pink champagne on ice?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:36 pm

Only if you're looking for your back passage to the place you were before. :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:37 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Only if you're looking for your back passage
A move that's really only advised for advanced yoga practitioners.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:21 am

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: I believe the pose is called "Pretzel Logic"
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster