You are here

Dirac Live Pro

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Dirac Live Pro

Postby DanDan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:50 pm

My apologies if this is an inappropriate place for this post, I want to recommend a Speaker Controller for Control Room use and this sub forum seemed the closest. I have been using Dirac Live standalone app in my small but Pro studio SoundSound for many years.
I have also helped (or annoyed) my friends at Dirac with Beta and Manual suggestions.
I used it every day to apply a B&K like Target Curve (regular Eq's cannot create such curved slopes), and to tame the lowest mode which is beyond the reach of the extensive treatment, 35Hz.
It is the most stable software I have seen.
Just now they have released a 'Pro' version. I haven't tried it yet due to OS issues. Years back I asked for this, i.e. a Plug-in with manual control rather than the auto of the regular DL. Now it is here.
I believe it will be of great use, and warmly recommend a trial/demo.
https://live.dirac.com/pro-audio/

DD
DanDan
Poster
Member Institute of Acoustics UK and Audio Engineering Society
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie

Re: Dirac Live Pro

Postby fapolo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Dirac Live for Studio sounds like a promising and relatively inexpensive solution, especially for smaller (bedroom) studios that don’t have the financial resources for extensive room modifications.
fapolo

Postby cyrano.mac » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Why would another software EQ be incapable of producing the curve you need?
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:59 am

Also curious about this statement.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:01 am

Bit of drive by promotion perhaps? Or a spammer resurrecting a 10-year old thread to get to the necessary number of unmoderated posts?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:10 am

No, I think DanDan's been here as a legit poster for a while and the thread's just a couple of months old - and I think it's his statement re: EQ curves that's sparked enquiry.

The spammy bump just brought it to wider attention in this case.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:33 am

Sorry, yes, DanDan is legit, i just misread the date on his post.
I'll go climb back in my box now... :headbang:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby DanDan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Sorry, I don't get notifications from this Forum and it does tend to be quiet......
DL allows us to draw a Target Curve using way points. With enough points one can generate a quite 'rounded' Target. Well it looks that way visually anyway. Most Eq's tend to be straight line, with a bit of slope and tilt here and there. Working between my Pro CR and domestic listening scenarios over a couple of years, I have found such details matter. Be it actually curved as the visuals suggest, or just a more complex array of sloped/tilted regions. Ultimately, after many tried variations, I have ended up with my waypoint version of B&K.
If I remember correctly Harrison gave away a curvy mastering Eq plug in last year.
I gave that a quick spin and it seems nice too. But DL and SonarWx both use Mixed Phase filters. Audibly DL gets a better grip on a dominant 35Hz Mode here. So I am happy to compliment it anywhere. I do like many things about SWx also. It has an ability to bypass inter channel delays which these apps generate to 'correct' paths from tweeters to the tip of our nose. An absurd activity in my mind, unless one is a nose listener. Such delays are nastily audible in a CR free of early reflections. The Minidsp hardware is incapable of bypass.
DanDan
Poster
Member Institute of Acoustics UK and Audio Engineering Society
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie