You are here

DIY HOME STUDIO - Help me in this WEIRD room

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Room 1
50%
Room 2
50%

Total votes : 2

DIY HOME STUDIO - Help me in this WEIRD room

Postby ReverendBeanz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Hey Guys!

So I'm setting up this small studio space in a spare bedroom and I'm confronted with 2 obvious problems right off the bat:
1) Tiny dimensions
2) Annoying asymmetrical shape

There's two possible arrangements for the room that I can go with:
The second leaves me with much more floor space, even enough to set up a drum kit when needed BUT it's probably more likely to wreak havoc on the sound.

My goal is to simply get the room sounding as nice and even as possible. This isn't some mix and mastering suite; when I am seriously going at a mix I'm going to be using headphones.

Open to anyone's opinions and tips for setting up a studio in a small space so don't hesitate!

The blue lines are self made acoustic treatment panels made of Rockwool.

Monitors: Yamaha HS7

ReverendBeanz

Re: DIY HOME STUDIO - Help me in this WEIRD room

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:22 pm

You already appreciate the inherent problems in a room like that. So as the sound is always going to be compromised in one way or another, I think I'd go for the layout option that makes the room as practical as possible in other ways. The second diagram maximises the floor space, and keeps the region around the desk/monitors as uniform as possible. Low frequencies will be lumpy, and stereo imaging could be poor, but stereo headphones will help with evaluating both of those aspects of your mixes.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ReverendBeanz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Thanks Hugh!

Yeah once the new desks arrive I'm going to try both arrangements out but without treatment, just to see which one has less mess to start with.

I'll even try against the 8'5 wall

There's gonna be a lot of waves to navigate that's for sure!

Just a temporary room though, thankfully.

But I'm thinking of going for that second layout initially.
ReverendBeanz

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:45 pm

I think I'd actually be more tempted by room 3! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby DanDan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:50 pm

Hard concrete or brick walls reflect full bandwidth, whereas plasterboard or tongue and groove or windows or light doors allow LF to pass, absorbing some of it also. The best way to decide on locations would be to Acoustically Measure using REW or FuzzMeasure or ARTA. Assume nothing and just focus on best, least bad, LF response, including decay. Mixing on headphones can be very reliable as it removes the room. There is a central summing issue which can be easily sorted by Canopener Studio.
DanDan
Poster