You are here

Dormer window in studio

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Dormer window in studio

Postby gtrmatic » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 am

I am constructing a studio primarily for mixing (not recording) in an unused bedroom. The planned control room is approximately 15’ X 11’ not including two closets in opposite corners along the back wall. In between these closets is a dormer jutting out of the roof that frames a window. As a result, there is no single straight rear wall. Rather, the middle of the back wall opens up and extends to a dormer window. I have some questions on this and other acoustic treatment issues with this studio. I apologize if any of these questions seem basic. Thanks so much for your consideration with these questions:

1) Should I do anything special with the dormer opening? In one sense it extends the length of the room, but I’m worried this very small area will act as a resonator of sorts.
2) Should this area be closed off to achieve a straight back wall? Perhaps using the well-known book case solution? However, I strongly prefer not to block access to this great storage area.
3) I have two other windows in the room but fortunately these have heavy thick drapes. Should I simply keep these closed when mixing? If necessary should a place diffusers in front of these curtains?
4) I currently have a formica table in the room. Should I go ahead and remove this?
5) There is also a ceiling fan in the middle of the room that I was planning to remove as I should probably hang some type of absorption there. Since the distance from the monitors to the ceiling is not that great, I think this calls for some absorption.
6) The front wall has a window A/C unit that could be covered by drapes when not in use.

Thoughts and guidance greatly appreciated!
Gtrmatic
gtrmatic
New here

Re: Dormer window in studio

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:04 am

Hi gtrmatic, it would be really useful if you could post a quick diagram of the room. Just a sketch with the key features you've outlined and key measurements. This forum can't hold images so you'd need to host it somewhere else (Imgur / flicker etc) and link here.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby gtrmatic » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:18 pm

Yes, thanks Blinddrew. I tried to attach images and a floor diagram but I couldn’t seem to do this. Thanks for the suggestion to use Imgur, Flicker and providing a link. I’ll follow up with that.
gtrmatic
New here

Postby gtrmatic » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:51 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186451744 ... res/Jq7kW1

Above is a link to photos and a room plan on Flickr. Thanks again blinddrew!
gtrmatic
New here

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:24 pm

Thanks for the photos, that makes things much clearer. :thumbup:
On the positive side I've seen much worse rooms to try and work with!
What i'd do (other than listening to smarter people than me on here) would be to start with the mirror points around the desk for absorption, corner bass traps in the front corners and probably a ceiling cloud.
On the back wall you could consider an absorption panel on the back of each door and i probably wouldn't worry too much about the dormer area. If you do find it problematic you could always build a moveable, freestanding set of panels to wheel in and out of position as required. See Luke W's thread about treating his attic space for examples.
Or if Studio Support Gnome pops any suggestions on here just follow them as really he knows his stuff! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby gtrmatic » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:29 am

Thanks so much blinddrew! I appreciate the guidance. My passion is guitar and recording and I’ve always flinched at diving into this acoustic stuff. However, I ignore it at my production peril (reference tracks exposed this). Some concepts are beginning to gel thanks to you and others.
gtrmatic
New here

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:03 am

I'd agree with Drew - concentrate on the area around the desk first and then worry about the back of the room later. If the closet doors are very light they may resonate so it might be worth adding some panels to them to both reduce reflections and deaden the resonance but I wouldn't make that a high priority compared to the front of the room.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby gtrmatic » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:47 am

Thanks James! I appreciate your weighing in on this. Very helpful.
gtrmatic
New here