You are here

Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby Folderol » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:17 pm

I've just received a flyer from RS about a new completely isolated, mains PSU with built in filters with the same footprint as a standard IEC filtered chassis plug!

These are 5W units and cover the following ranges:

190-7530 3V3 @ 1A51
190-7531 5V @ 1A
190-7532 12V @ 420mA
190-7533 15V @ 333mA
190-7534 24V @ 210mA

They are all fully protected against overloads etc. have a standby mains consumption of only 75mW and come at just £11.85

My guess is that the 5V one will be in greatest demand - perfect for Arduino based projects, and also for Raspberry Pi zero.
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9708
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!


Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:24 pm

No 9v one to replace wall warts though. :( A bit of a shame.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10533
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby Folderol » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:21 pm

Wonks wrote:No 9v one to replace wall warts though. :( A bit of a shame.
For the lightweight kit up to approx. 30mA , use the 12V one and put a white LED in series.
Approx 3V drop and visible indication it's drawing power.

For beefier ones use a 3V zener diode in series (0.5 to 1W). If you still want the current indication, shunt that with a red LED (2v) and 56 ohm resistor.
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9708
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby DGL. » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 am

Interesting, will be interesting how good they are with audio devices as that will be their real test. Although according to the datasheet they do conform to the standards for AV devices.
https://docs.rs-online.com/60a8/0900766b81741c89.pdf
I suppose, if the price of this can be gotten down enough, with suitable power ratings then I can see this being a go to product for manufacturers that want an internal PSU but don't want to go through all the certification. as I would guess that as it is a fully enclosed device there would not need to be any mains safety certification for the device it is installed in as this PSU has no live parts accessible.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am
Location: Portland, Dorset

Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:19 am

Folderol wrote:
Wonks wrote:No 9v one to replace wall warts though. :( A bit of a shame.
For the lightweight kit up to approx. 30mA , use the 12V one and put a white LED in series.
Approx 3V drop and visible indication it's drawing power.

For beefier ones use a 3V zener diode in series (0.5 to 1W). If you still want the current indication, shunt that with a red LED (2v) and 56 ohm resistor.

Just having a 9v version would make it so much easier for everyone (who wants a 9v PSU) though.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10533
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:25 am

DGL. wrote:I suppose, if the price of this can be gotten down enough, with suitable power ratings then I can see this being a go to product for manufacturers that want an internal PSU but don't want to go through all the certification.

The complete assembly will always have to be tested to CE standards and certified. Which is why external PSUs make it so much easier for manufacturers as they then have two separate assemblies. Put the same PSU inside the main product and there are a lot more EMC tests/test configurations that have to be gone through.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10533
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:35 am

Wonks wrote:The complete assembly will always have to be tested to CE standards and certified. Which is why external PSUs make it so much easier for manufacturers as they then have two separate assemblies. Put the same PSU inside the main product and there are a lot more EMC tests/test configurations that have to be gone through.

Not necking celery.
Under some circumstances you are permitted to claim you are confident it meets the standard, and then it only requires a complete certification if there is a reasonable challenge made. With a totally sealed unit, with its own full certification and (looking through the data sheets) well exceeding standards required, such a challenge would probably get quickly thrown out.

The only proper certification needed would be for EMC, not safety - and you'd need that whatever PSU was used.
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9708
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:40 pm

On the basis that YCPAOTPAOTT, I shall whinge that they missed a trick not providing 15-0-15 volts which would be perfect for op amp power.
Could use 24V and an op amp to get a centre rail but that compromises headroom a tad.

No nine? There is a good bet the DC will land on a PCB so just use 15V and a 7809.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11140
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:07 pm

DGL. wrote:Interesting, will be interesting how good they are with audio devices as that will be their real test. Although according to the datasheet they do conform to the standards for AV devices.
https://docs.rs-online.com/60a8/0900766b81741c89.pdf
I suppose, if the price of this can be gotten down enough, with suitable power ratings then I can see this being a go to product for manufacturers that want an internal PSU but don't want to go through all the certification. as I would guess that as it is a fully enclosed device there would not need to be any mains safety certification for the device it is installed in as this PSU has no live parts accessible.

Now that's a very SLICK design :clap:


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 14955
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:03 am

I live in hope... :-|
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13435
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:43 am

The Elf wrote:I live in hope... :-|
You need to change your location in your profile then. ;)
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10533
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Something for The D.I.Y. crowd to drool over

Postby Folderol » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:50 am

... and each year I go to SynthFest simply from hope :thumbup:
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9708
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users