You are here

Roland PSB-1U

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Roland PSB-1U

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Can anyone please suggest a suitable substitute for a Roland PSB-1U 9V power supply for a Boss eBand JS-10 for occasional use. A wall wart is fine, Amazon would be great.

There's nothing wrong with the current PSU other than the fact that Mrs DM insists it's hidden behind a cabinet & it's awkward to get to if I need to move the unit to the PC for file transfer & back-ups. However, it's a small price to pay for being allowed to keep it in the lounge :lol:

If you guys recommend that I buy a Roland/Boss replacement, I'll happily bow to your better judgement, but £30ish seems a bit steep as it will barely be used.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Irrational beliefs justify unthinkable actions

Re: Roland PSB-1U

Postby Kwackman » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:49 pm

Would this work?

https://booinstruments.com/guitar-effec ... 0-psa-230/

Also sold via Amazon!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:56 pm

I was kind of hoping someone would say there was one suitable for under a tenner. I've got about £40 in loyalty points at Andertons, maybe I'd be better off getting a real one from them. Thanks anyway
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:37 pm

There should be plenty of alternatives - the only unusual aspect is that it has a 1A current output and has the usual Boss centre negative connector. This one should have more than enough current available (though I've not used it personally so no idea of the quality)

https://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/sw4177 ... pd-mi-alte
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 am

Thanks James, that looks ideal. I have very little practical knowledge of electronics but knew from experience that just plugging in any PSU that fits to see if it works would probably end in disaster. I wasn't sure whether the PSU or the device plugged in controlled the amount of current flowing.

The JS-10 is probably the most useful bit of kit I've ever bought.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:00 am

The current is determined by the device not the PSU (up to the max output of the PSU). The voltage and polarity needs to be correct but a PSU with a higher current rating will be fine.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DGL. » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The current is determined by the device not the PSU (up to the max output of the PSU). The voltage and polarity needs to be correct but a PSU with a higher current rating will be fine.

Some caveats, going higher in amperage is fine to a certain point, some PSU's can't regulate properly if the load is too small and some will also whistle if teh load is much lower than the PSU is rated for.

Also some PSU's are designed for IT equipment only and some ore designed for AV equipment, I don't know what makes them different but there must be some reason why PSU's are rated differently (my Behringer PSU's for the D/MS-101 claim to be for AV devices).
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Guitar pedal PSU's should work at a wide range of current draw. Some pedals only draw a few tens of milliamps others maybe 500mA. I suspect linear PSUs are more forgiving than SMPSUs but I take your point DGL that it's not quite as simple as I made it sound. But I think Mike was worried that he might damage his Boss eBand which very unlikely indeed if he gets the voltage right.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks guys. CPC delivered today and it worked just fine. Of course I had to buy a couple of Dremel accessories to get delivery for free ;)
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)