You are here

KRK Rokit 8 using external amp

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

KRK Rokit 8 using external amp

Postby duncangot » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:09 am

Hey everyone, I need some help. Sadly bought my KRK Rokit 8 G3’s back from the US to Australia and plugged them into the 240v wall outlet without thinking. Very sad day. I even went online to get a 110v step down transformer and still no good.

I was thinking can I just bypass the internal amplifier and use an external amplifier system? Can someone recommend what specs I will need for the amplifier please. Thanks very much!

Rokit 8 specs:
Amplification Type
active
Crossover Channel Qty
2-way
Nominal Output Power
100 Watt
Frequency Response
35 - 35000 Hz
Nominal Impedance
10 KOhm
Output Level (SPL)
109 dB
Crossover Frequency
2000Hz
Audio Amplifier
integrated
Magnetic Shield
Yes
duncangot

Re: KRK Rokit 8 using external amp

Postby resistorman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 am

Man that's a bummer. But it's not just the amplification, there's probably a lot of DSP tuning going on.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser931182 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:09 am

Yes the speakers have separate amplifiers for woofer and tweeter with active crossovers to divide the frequency being sent to each speaker. You would need to get a passive crossover tuned for 2000hz but it still won't match the original active one ( passive crossovers require a bit of maths and technical ears to set up ).
The speakers blew their fuses I'd imagine and probably some power supply components. Might be fixable but might be expensive.
forumuser931182

Postby ef37a » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:51 am

Even if there were no DSP (there is) there are two amplifiers per speaker and a low level, electronic crossover.

The chances are they are totally buggered, especially the digital circuits but there is just a chance you have only blown a fuse, maybe two on the power supply PCB.
I see an IEC mains inlet, there is not an integral fuse holder?

I always wonder why designers go for class D amplification but then do not opt for the also high efficiency of Switch Mode Supplies which are of course universal for mains voltage?

You might JUST might have a claim on your house contents insurance?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:26 pm

It is almost certainly worth getting someone to have a look at them. It could be as simple as a blown internal fuse (but I wouldn't go replacing any fuses yourself without thoroughly checking whether anything else is faulty).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page