You are here

A volume control for my reel to reel

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

A volume control for my reel to reel

Postby Black Witch » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:16 am

Hi all.

I'm looking for an input volume control for my reel to reel machine which has no control. I'm looking to record from my streamer.

It's balanced in and balanced out.

Although my streamer is unbalanced it runs in to an Alice Match Pack.

I've recently bought an SPL Volume 2 but it doesn't seem to have any gain so the volume control is up at around 70% to the appropriate manageable peak before distortion. But 70% seems a bit high to me.

This is the current chain.

Input:
Streamer (output unbalanced) >> Alice Match Pack (Output balanced) >> SPL Volume 2 >> A80

Output:
A80 >> PPM meter >> Alice Match Pack (output unbalanced) >> Preamp (Unbalanced input)

Could anyone suggest if using a unit with a little gain would be better for the sound?

I want the best sound possible from my streamer.

Is there a better unit or would modding the SPL be a better option?
Black Witch

Re: A volume control for my reel to reel

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:14 pm

IIRC, the Match Pack has trimmers near the inputs, you can access them with a small flathead screwdriver. Fantastically well made bit of kit! Assuming your reel to reel is calibrated to the tape formulation you're using, just trim the Alice to 0VU on the reel to reel meters with a 1kHz tone (if you can get that to come out of your streamer). My guess is you'll find it's already there. If not, might be worth checking if there's something wrong with the tape cal, or the reel to reel itself.

I'm assuming you just want to record to tape with the minimal amount of distortion. If you're wanting to saturate the tape, then just raise the trimmers til you like the sound. If it's a 3 head machine, you can monitor that off the playback head.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Re: A volume control for my reel to reel

Postby James Perrett » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:16 pm

Doesn't the A80 also have input trimmers? I also wouldn't worry too much about using the SPL at 70% provided the input trimmers on the A80 are set sensibly.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page