You are here

DIY semi soundproof booth that i am not sure will work

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: DIY semi soundproof booth that i am not sure will work

Postby pariah223 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:04 pm

CS70 wrote:
pariah223 wrote:I quickly realized however that my family and neighbors and trains and birds make entirely too much noise.

Many people in the same situation - suddenly very hard to get a proper quiet space with family and everybody else being in the surrounding.

As others I've said, soundproofing is hard, long and expensive work. By the time you are done, the virus will hopefully be no longer a problem!

Sometimes it helps to consider problems from a different perspective however.. these days there's an enormous amount of unused, quiet space: offices, shops, theaters., you name it.

While many of them won't be suited to record a drum kit or other instruments who need a great room to shine, most rooms can be adapted to record acoustic guitar and vocals if you know what you are doing. Even electric guitar and bass don't pose a problem (other than a lot heavier stuff to carry) but for these I'd advice the convenience of a modeler.

If you normally work in an office, chances are you can ask to go there in the evening when there's nobody around to do a vocal or guitar recording. Otherwise, you can probably ask to use a theater stage or a closed pub, maybe in exchange for a few quids.

When you are there, all you need is a portable recording rig (inexpensive laptop + inexpensive two channels interface plus tracking headphones), your mic, a couple of mic stands and a duvet or two. Perhaps a reflection filter for the mic. You tackle bad room reflections by using the duvet, the reflection filter and your mic high pass filter. If you happen to be in an office space you may even find there's conference rooms with a degree of treatment, especially on the ceiling.

After having done it a few times, the entire setup can be rigged in ten/twenty minutes depending on how much time you want to use to find the sweet spot for the mic+duvet combination.

If Mohammed doesn't go to the mountain.. (or was it the other way around?)

This is actually great advice, thank you for taking the time out!
pariah223
Poster

Re: DIY semi soundproof booth that i am not sure will work

Postby Jorge » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:55 pm

Although I never set up a studio in a hotel, I have found some of the principles in this article useful in my home rehearsal/recording studio.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... er-on-road

The article is really about voiceovers and not music recording, and does not address the soundproofing issue that is one of your concerns, but if you use an after-hours office space or other quiet location some of these ideas could be useful. They describe a minimalist traveling recording studio kit that you can modify for your needs and resources. For those of us uncouth folks in places like the US that have never heard of a duvet, the sleeping bag idea is brilliant. I have used it in my basement studio, which is right next to the storage closet where we store camping equipment. If you want to keep some of your room sound, experiment with your distance from the sleeping bag or duvet, how high up to hang it, etc. In the article, in the extreme case where they set up a voice booth in a closet, the skillful use of hotel pillows (who uses all 6 pillows to sleep anyway?) eliminated most of the room sound but they needed some EQ in post to get a more natural sound. Even though your situation is different, this might be a useful article for you to get some ideas.
Jorge
Regular

Previous