You are here

Advice Needed: Acoustic Treatment and Speaker Placement (HS7) in Small Bedroom

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Advice Needed: Acoustic Treatment and Speaker Placement (HS7) in Small Bedroom

Postby rupert12 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:29 pm

Hi, I recently got some HS7s and want to get them sounding good in my room. The room dimensions are 3.8m length x 3.4m width x 2.5m height, with one wall running diagonally to the ceiling from about 1.3m up (room is on top floor). I have been reading many articles about speaker placement, and believe I have put them in the correct place. The rear wall has the diagonal wall, so the speakers/room are symmetrical. They sit 35cm from the front wall, and 75cm from the side walls, and are 1.3m apart. I am going to experiment with moving the monitors closer to the wall to move the quarter wavelength cancellation to a higher frequency (more directional and easier to treat), but not too close to affect air movement around the rear ports. Yamaha recommend a minimum of 1.5m away from the front wall, which confuses me because the bass response goes to 43Hz, which has a wavelength of 8m, so surely to prevent quarter length cancellations they should be over 2m from the wall? Anyway, the 500Hz room control will help with EQing.

My main priority now is Acoustic Treatment. I am planning on building 2 first reflection panels for the side walls with 10cm of 60kg/m3 rockwool, with a 5cm air gap. Is it worth adding a ceiling one as well? Bass absorption is harder because I don't have much room on my rear wall. I could potentially make space for a corner trap on the rear wall (120cm height x 40cm width made of 120kg/m3 rockwool), if I had to.The other three corners have my bed, the door, and a wardrobe door. I could build a 80cm x 60cm trap with 10cm deep 120kg/m3 rockwool and 10cm air gap, to sit on the left side of the diagonal wall. This would be above my bed and probably feel quite odd, and it's not near a corner.

Would having only the corner trap make a noticeable difference? If not, would it be worth making the first reflection traps thicker? Do you think this speaker/room layout sounds ok? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!
rupert12

Re: Advice Needed: Acoustic Treatment and Speaker Placement (HS7) in Small Bedroom

Postby CS70 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 am

rupert12 wrote:Is it worth adding a ceiling one as well?

Floor-ceiling echoes to be pretty apparent and annoying, but depend a bit on the room height and what material and stuff is on the up and the down, so to say. Clap your hands at the mixing position. Do you hear some ringing? If so, yes, add to the ceiling. In doubt, yes. :)

Bass absorption is harder because I don't have much room on my rear wall. I could potentially make space for a corner trap on the rear wall (120cm height x 40cm width made of 120kg/m3 rockwool), if I had to.The other three corners have my bed, the door, and a wardrobe door. I could build a 80cm x 60cm trap with 10cm deep 120kg/m3 rockwool and 10cm air gap, to sit on the left side of the diagonal wall. This would be above my bed and probably feel quite odd, and it's not near a corner.

Would having only the corner trap make a noticeable difference? If not, would it be worth making the first reflection traps thicker? Do you think this speaker/room layout sounds ok? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

Imho, a good place to put bass traps is on the back of the speakers - so you remove a good chunk of energy which otherwise is gonna bounce right near to you with minimal dissipation. Second priority are the corners behind you. Then, with all corners covered, if you have the space, traps on the side walls.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page