You are here

Can Floor Vinyl be used as a limp mass

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Can Floor Vinyl be used as a limp mass

Postby Nickalpha » Wed May 20, 2020 8:18 pm

i live in the Caribbean and i can not find MLV here but Floor vinyl is available in sheets and as mass can it be used in a limp mass bass trap?
Nickalpha
Poster

Re: Can Floor Vinyl be used as a limp mass

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 20, 2020 11:24 pm

Can't see why not but it probably won't be as effective as 'proper' MLV.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Nickalpha » Wed May 20, 2020 11:39 pm

Okay what about a waterproof membrane it's 3.4kg/m2 could this work
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu May 21, 2020 1:32 am

MLV used in limp mass typically starts at about 5-6kg/m2 and upwards, the mass will partially determine how far down the spectrum it has useful performance (as well as the ductility of the materials (how floppy it is )

the trick is finding something heavy, and soft, that has a fibre reinforcing content, or can be bonded to a strong fabric such that it stays limp , and doesn't stretch/tear when hung

most floor vinyl is a bit too light and rigid to work properly....the surfaces being made denser to provide a hard wearing floor surface, but some might be ok, i'd imagine that in your location , the typically warmer climate might make them softer than they are here in the Uk outside of summer....

perhaps you could bond two layers of the waterproof membrane on to the two sides of a piece of hessian / sack cloth , thus making yourself a membrane at 6.4 kg/m2 and with fabric reinforcement. ?
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Nickalpha » Thu May 21, 2020 2:31 am

Hey Thanks so much i really need to improvise to get this done i will use the waterproof membrane they have it in 5kg/m2 and it's much more flexible Thanks again when i am finish i will post the results to help others.
Nickalpha
Poster