You are here

Head torch glasses

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Head torch glasses

Postby BillB » Wed May 27, 2020 12:45 am

I wasn’t quite sure where to put this one. It might have been OK in ‘10 boring things for your studio’....

I have been trying to light some of my studio keyboards in a way which maximises the contrast of the front panel lettering. My JD-800 has a brushed steel panel and I found that wherever I tried to place an LED strip (on the underneath of a shelf) above it, the reflection of the LEDs actually reduced the contrast of the lettering rather than increased it. Then I held a little LED strip at the side of my eyes and the contrast was much improved.

Normal head torches, that sit above your eye level, are not suitable, as the shelf above the keyboard can cast a shadow.

I subsequently purchased one of these (neck book light)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Which I must commend for reading etc. But, when placed around the neck, can be a bit low to illuminate higher-placed equipment - the knobs can cast a shadow over the lettering.

Placed level with the eyes, the neck torch is perfect, except that it is not designed to stay there. There is no doubt that having the light source at around the same level as your eyes is the optimum. Looking around, this seems to be the conclusion that Orbital came to with their headlight ‘glasses’. Although it is a fashion statement for them, I would bet it has very practical origins for use on stage.

So.... does anybody know of such a product in the U.K.?
BillB
Frequent Poster

Re: Head torch glasses

Postby innerchord » Wed May 27, 2020 2:07 am

There are LED headlamp bands available on eBay. Alternatively, it would be easy to fashion such a thing using LED lights clipped to a headband above the ears.
innerchord
Regular

Postby MarkPAman » Wed May 27, 2020 2:32 am

Something like these any good?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273833631756

Ah sorry that’s from China .......

More money but UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332615466604
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Wed May 27, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks, Mark. It’s interesting to see how Ebay works. £1.34 and wait 1-2 months from China or £9.99 and wait a week from Bradford.

These look like they would work quite well. The only downside is the use of CR-2032, which I assumed was not a rechargeable option, but it turns out there is such a thing as rechargeable CR-2032. Likely to be a bit fiddly and not as easy as the USB cable for charging the built-in neck light battery, but quite a good option.

Innerchord. Yes, I’ll look into DIY options, thank you.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 am

So, I searched for LED headband on eBay and turned up these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-White-Fl ... 2807443200
Surely something could be done with these to make them the ultimate cool studio accessory?
:headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Wed May 27, 2020 8:36 am

Similar to Mark’s suggestion. A bit more classy and a lot more expensive (well, £22).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-LED-Headlig ... B0107WK21W

Just spotted they are for use on 3M safety glasses. That immediately doubles the price.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Wed May 27, 2020 9:26 am

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 am

It turns out I have the perfect thing for you but it doesn't seem like it's made anymore.
It's a small AAA torch, that comes with a headband attachment, but the mounting is on a ball joint so, unlike other head torches, you can swing it round to the side of your head but still point it forward.
I'm afraid I'm not willing to sell you mine but it might be worth looking for torch+headstrap and see what comes up.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BillB » Wed May 27, 2020 9:54 am

Music Wolf wrote:If you wear off the shelf reading glasses, how about these?

https://magnifyingglasses.co.uk/acatalog/NEW-Illuminated-LED-Reading-Glasses---Tortoise-Shell-RG_TS.html

We're getting very close to Joe-90 territory here :)

Putting 'illuminating glasses' into Google brings up a variety of options including many on Amazon similar to these.

I like the idea but... I think going with actual glasses may be risky if they are set up for e.g. close reading.
Not sure, but I am liking all the options. :thumbup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Wed May 27, 2020 10:01 am

blinddrew wrote:It turns out I have the perfect thing for you but it doesn't seem like it's made anymore.
It's a small AAA torch, that comes with a headband attachment, but the mounting is on a ball joint so, unlike other head torches, you can swing it round to the side of your head but still point it forward.
I'm afraid I'm not willing to sell you mine but it might be worth looking for torch+headstrap and see what comes up.

Thanks for the pointer, Drew, I'll have a look around. I am going to see if I can rig up a headphones / neck torch combo tonight. It's worth playing with these things to see what works.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Wed May 27, 2020 10:49 am

Ideally, I would like to look something like this, whilst editing synth parameters...

BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 27, 2020 1:21 pm

You wish! :bouncy:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BillB » Thu May 28, 2020 8:11 am

Martin Walker wrote:You wish! :bouncy:
Martin

Don’t know what you mean, Martin. The only difference between me and them is a 3,000 strong audience, a global following built on decades of production and performance, an astounding light show and set, and the coolest gear ever. Oh, and the bespoke head-torches, which I am clearly making great progress on.

See, not so different after all. :wtf:

Oh, and there are two of them, which gives them a really unfair advantage :geek: :ugeek:
BillB
Frequent Poster