You are here

Need help interpreting REW Results - Home Studio

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Need help interpreting REW Results - Home Studio

Postby zyodmusic » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:03 pm

Hi,

I´m currently building a home studio and did some measurements with REW. However as
I´m not an expert i don't know whether these results are good or bad.

I already treated the majority of the room, meaning the back wall, sidewalls, ceiling and corners in the front.

Attached are the results.
Thank you for your help!!
zyodmusic

Re: Need help interpreting REW Results - Home Studio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:31 pm

Welcome to the forums. I've edited your post to replace the links with larger images as the originals were too small to be of any use and the links didn't open larger ones.

As for the results, I've seen flatter responses, and I've seen much worse responses....

To be honest, just posting 'after' results isn't hugely helpful. It's almost impossible to create a 'perfect' room, even in a pro studio with unlimited budget and design expertise.

In a home / project studio there will always be significant and insurmountable compromises and so what really matters is whether you have made the room substantially better, rather than near-perfect... and for that you need to compare the before with the after treatment measurements.

From your plots I can see only one really significant room resonance at 32Hz (or thereabouts), although there is another weaker one around 100Hz. But the room could obviously do with more bass trapping to bring down the overall decay time for all frequencies below about 100Hz.

And i think you've got some big standing wave interference cancellation nulls around 125 and 380Hz -- (roughly estimated frequencies from the graph). These will be related to the room dimensions and should respond to more effective bass trapping.

There's an obvious shelf in the amplitude response below 100Hz, but I suspect that is probably due to the monitor speaker's own limited LF capabilities.

More concerning is the large suck-out above 1kHz. That might be a measuring artefact relating to the speaker crossover/driver spacing, or it could be local reflections from studio furniture (a desk or computer screens?), but I'd suggest exploring that more thoroughly with a view to minimising it.

The overall in-room response, though, is more or less within +/-8dB above 35Hz which is not at all bad, all things considered ....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby DanDan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:55 pm

There is a Measuring Acoustics primer knocking around. We need L, R, L+R. Dips can appear on one side or the other and if averaged, or measured at actual ear positions, they may not exist at all. The noise floor in real rooms is rarely below 40dB. To see an actual room tone we need to see say a 45-50dB vertical range and a time span showing the ridges decaying to the noise floor. Are these really tiny speakers? Are they far from the Front Wall? In any case I recommend trying the speakers 'kissing' the Front Wall.
DanDan
Regular
Dan FitzGerald MIOA  MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie

Postby zyodmusic » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi,
First of thank you for your help!

I just did another measurement, because i think something went wrong in the first one...

I also moved everything closer to the rear wall, which improved things a bit.
Edit: First graph is the left speaker, second graph right speaker and third L+R,
Decay and Waterfall are L+R aswell.

zyodmusic

Postby cyrano.mac » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:52 pm

I think you might want to tell us what your measurement setup is?

Like mic position, speaker position... Maybe draw up a small floor map? Don't forget to include the height of the room :tongue:

And what are you sending to those speakers? A sweep? At what level?
cyrano.mac
Regular