You are here

XLR stereo to TS jacks wiring

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

XLR stereo to TS jacks wiring

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:44 pm

I am trying not to buy anything as I have enough parts on hand.
I want to use 2 outputs on my RME interface to send a stereo signal to a "headphone" amp in another room. The "headphone" amp has 2 mono inputs, actually it's a 2 input Zoom U-24 interface with a headphone out.
I believe I need to make 2 adapters
- TS Left, TS Right into male XLR and TS Left, TS Right into female XLR.
I will be sending a stereo signal down the XLR cable. I wanted to run the wiring by you in case I missed something in my research. I'm not concerned about any RF or other interference. Suggestions appreciated.
update - oh crap - I just noticed I can't pan the mono signals on the Zoom. Back to the drawing board. But please let me know if my wiring is correct.

ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: XLR stereo to TS jacks wiring

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Yes, that wiring would be fine. ...although if the XLR cable is long you'll have slightly more crosstalk between the two channels than if you ran separate (unbalanced) cables.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:16 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:update - oh crap - I just noticed I can't pan the mono signals on the Zoom.

That's got me before too. On the U44 I'd suggest using it in AD/DA mode and linking the digital ins and outs but I don't think there's a similar stand-alone mode on the U24.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:25 pm

Is this for listening or a cue mix? If the latter is stereo crucial or can you live with a mono mix?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:14 pm

I can live with mono but I also found another interface that does do panning so I’m good now. Of course it was sitting right in front of my face for years so I didn’t see it. :smirk:
I’m running about 40’ of cable so a bit of crosstalk is acceptable. The click will be front and centre with the tracks playing a bit quieter for reference.
All sources close mic’ed although I may keep playing with the mid/side techniques I learned in these very pages! Now to hang some duvets after a bit of soldering!
Thanks all.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)