You are here

Can you use a 9V battery in place of a 9V PSU on a Korg D4?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Can you use a 9V battery in place of a 9V PSU on a Korg D4?

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:13 pm

So not just limited to my Korg D4 but I do ask mainly for that.

I have a pedal (Behringer HM300) that I power from a 9v Battery using a battery clip into a polarity converter, making the centre negative. It works fine and it's got me thinking.

I'm hoping to reacquire my old Korg D4 multitrack recorder and use it "on the go" without the PSU. I found this YT video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxlRkYnz4ls where he does the same - powering the D4 from a battery and when the screen starts to fade, get a fresh battery (or I could use a rechargeable 9v battery).

Is this potentially going to be damaging to the D4 unit?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Can you use a 9V battery in place of a 9V PSU on a Korg D4?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:37 pm

Probably not, but you might get better life out of a 6pack clip of AAs if you find the standard 9v doesn't give you long enough.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:44 pm

I'm using a few of this company's power cables: https://myvolts.co.uk/page.php?xPage=MV_Ripcord

With these you can power from anything wth a USB socket, including those high-capacity power packs made for phones.

These cables are quickly becoming my preferred way to power external PSU gear, since there no damnable wall-wart to accommodate on my plug-boards.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:53 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm using a few of this company's power cables: https://myvolts.co.uk/page.php?xPage=MV_Ripcord

With these you can power from anything wth a USB socket, including those high-capacity power packs made for phones.

These cables are quickly becoming my preferred way to power external PSU gear, since there no damnable wall-wart to accommodate on my plug-boards.

That does look good, and I could use it in the future, but for now: I have batteries, and I have a battery clip.... Looking to be Scrooge and save the pennies!

EDIT: Bah humbug!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:00 pm

The Korg D4 has a DC 9V in jack, and I believe that 9v batteries are DC?

So they should be compatible?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:04 pm

Yes I agree with Drew, it should work fine but you probably won't get long enough out of a PP3 for it to be useful.

edit :- The guy in the video says he's getting 90 mins+ so that's actually pretty useful.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yes I agree with Drew, it should work fine but you probably won't get long enough out of a PP3 for it to be useful.

Thanks Sam and Drew!

I’ll only be using portably about a couple of hours a month so the longevity is not a huge issue.

The YouTube guy said he got 1.5 hours out of it so it’ll hopefully be fine for short bursts
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:49 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm using a few of this company's power cables: https://myvolts.co.uk/page.php?xPage=MV_Ripcord

With these you can power from anything wth a USB socket ...

Thank you for pointing these out, I'd not seen them before, what a great idea!

We have campervan with 2 large solar panels for off-grid use, and while we do have 12v & USB power from that solar system, these would be incredibly useful for all sorts of other things that aren't 12v or 5v.

Thanks again :clap: :thumbup:
Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:51 pm

Bear in mind that the maximum current is 1A at 9V and less at higher voltages.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby wireman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:09 pm

garrettendi wrote:The Korg D4 has a DC 9V in jack, and I believe that 9v batteries are DC?

So they should be compatible?

Yes, batteries are DC. However the voltage drops as they lose charge so they are not equivalent to the stable voltage you should get from a regulated AC-DC adaptor. There could also be an issue if you try to draw too much current from the battery but you already know that a battery will work for quite some time.
What is the current rating of your existing adaptor (it may say 1A or 500mA for example), it would be useful to know the actual current draw with a representative usage but I appreciate you might not be able to measure that.
wireman
Regular

Postby innerchord » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:49 pm

I've done this sort of thing many times for quick 'n' dirty location power. The PP9 cells will give a much longer life. They should still be easy to find. Rechargeable PP3 cells might be cheaper in the long run. A set of 6 rechargeable AA cells would be my choice!
innerchord
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:40 pm

It looks like the D4 has pretty frugal power needs. I wonder if a couple of high power Li-Ion PP3s would be a good choice. I bought some to run my RC-3 looper when I want to be free from external boxes and they worked very well. TBF the RC-3 kept on working until the voltage dropped to 4.5V so they certainly worked well enough for non critical stuff with the RC-3.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=LiIon+PP3&ref=nb_sb_noss
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby garrettendi » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:53 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Bear in mind that the maximum current is 1A at 9V and less at higher voltages.

Hi Hugh! Not sure what you mean here?

wireman wrote:What is the current rating of your existing adaptor (it may say 1A or 500mA for example), it would be useful to know the actual current draw with a representative usage but I appreciate you might not be able to measure that.

I don't have the AC adapter to hand as I am yet to get the device back from my friend (after lockdown), but as Sam says the power requirements are quite small I think. I cannot find the power draw in the manual.

Sam Spoons wrote:It looks like the D4 has pretty frugal power needs. I wonder if a couple of high power Li-Ion PP3s would be a good choice. I bought some to run my RC-3 looper when I want to be free from external boxes and they worked very well. TBF the RC-3 kept on working until the voltage dropped to 4.5V so they certainly worked well enough for non critical stuff with the RC-3.

Thanks for the link! Yes those batteries seem ideal, and I will definitely give them a look-see.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:41 am

I have often wondered why guitarists don't use '6pack' AA battery boxes to power at least some of their pedals? This gives vastly longer life than any PP3 and AAs can be bought anywhere and often cheaply in bulk.

Such powering avoids the ground loops and instabilities that seem to plague pedal boards when using certain multi-output PSUs.

FYI. I once powered an M-A Fast track pro AI in stand alone mode from a PP3. Lasted all of 20 minutes IIRC!

Note as well that some rechargeable cells give a lower working voltage than alkalines and this can cause issues with certain devices. We found out long ago that TV remotes do not work with them.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next