You are here

Need suggestions to soundproof my Bedroom :(

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Need suggestions to soundproof my Bedroom :(

Postby stuart7791 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:45 pm

Hi everyone, I don't know to what extent this question is associated with studio designing, but I'm frustrated with the noise from the living room as well as the neighbors in the apartment. I want to practice singing in my bedroom(because it's the only place where I've privacy to sing without any disturbance). And also I don't want to annoy my family living in other rooms and my neighbors. I want to noise insulate my bedroom within my budget. So, I'm looking for suggestions regarding soundproofing my bedroom. Any kind of suggestion is helpful.

Thanks in advance!
stuart7791

Re: Need suggestions to soundproof my Bedroom :(

Postby MOF » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:23 pm

What is your budget?
If you’re only concerned with your voice being heard elsewhere then making up a vocal booth framework and covering it in duvets will help, it will help a bit with external noises too unless they’re mostly bass frequencies. Adding thick insulating tape around the door frame will also help.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:30 pm

Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I'm going to tell you something you probably don't want to hear. Sound proofing is hard and expensive. You need mass, air-tightness, and separation. It's not impossible to do in a standard domestic environment, but it's not far off. For what it will cost you, well, you could probably hire a practice room every night of the week.
You'll see plenty of pictures of studios and domestic rooms with foam, bass traps, broadband absorbers and other stuff in there, but that's about controlling the sound within the room. We tend to call that sound treatment. This is generally affordable and fairly straightforward to do on a DIY basis.
But soundproofing is different.
Sorry about that.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 pm

I'd agree with Drew - to effectively soundproof a room it takes quite a bit of effort.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby stuart7791 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:49 am

MOF wrote:What is your budget?
If you’re only concerned with your voice being heard elsewhere then making up a vocal booth framework and covering it in duvets will help, it will help a bit with external noises too unless they’re mostly bass frequencies. Adding thick insulating tape around the door frame will also help.
Thanks, I can spend up to $500 into this. But I couldn't find an affordable vocal booth within my budget. I'm looking for some cheaper alternatives that would do the job even to a little extent.

blinddrew wrote:Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I'm going to tell you something you probably don't want to hear. Sound proofing is hard and expensive. You need mass, air-tightness, and separation. It's not impossible to do in a standard domestic environment, but it's not far off. For what it will cost you, well, you could probably hire a practice room every night of the week.
You'll see plenty of pictures of studios and domestic rooms with foam, bass traps, broadband absorbers and other stuff in there, but that's about controlling the sound within the room. We tend to call that sound treatment. This is generally affordable and fairly straightforward to do on a DIY basis.
But soundproofing is different.
Sorry about that.

Firstly thanks a lot, I know it is not going to be cheaper, but neither is hiring a practice room in the long term. Yeah, I'll look into sound treatment. It would be great if I could do something to my existing room.

James Perrett wrote:I'd agree with Drew - to effectively soundproof a room it takes quite a bit of effort.
Yeah, I know complete soundproofing can never be attained. But I want to lower the noise on the both sides as much as I can.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! :D
stuart7791

Postby kevin583 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:06 am

Hi Stuart. I'd suggest you go through all vocal booth frameworks and see if you can get any of them. I've seen a few vocal booths on Amazon here https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Vocal+Booth under your budget. If you want to do some DIY things to your bedroom under your budget of $500 then you can start by sealing the gaps using weatherstrip and door sweep, stick or hang your old blankets or rugs on your walls or door which you feel the noise is transferring through, consider having white noise machine which nullifies the noise, put some cheap acoustic panels to your air vents in such a way that it should allow air but stops the noise. There are a lot other ways to do that yourself, I've found a good guide here https://soundproofxl.com/soundproof-bedroom-cheap/
kevin583
New here

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:28 am

I think you're better off hiring a place to practice in. Why? Because real actual sound proofing will basically require ripping out the old walls and constructing a new room.

That will cost a lot more than $500. Sorry, but that's a fact.

I am just stating what others have said in a different way.

Holy crap, that site is hilarious. They've confused acoustic treatment with sound proofing, and talk about "egg cartoons" :lol: :lol:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:31 am

kevin583 wrote:There are a lot other ways to do that yourself, I've found a good guide here https://soundproofxl.com/soundproof-bedroom-cheap/

There is some seriously mad advice in that link... Almost nothing on that page is anywhere near accurate, egg boxes, acoustic paint (!?)

I'm no expert, but as far as I can see then aside from a decent seal on doors and windows, everything listed there will make almost no measurable (let alone practically useful) difference in sound transmission between rooms in a domestic building.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:46 am

Yes.... I was in two minds about it when I allowed the post through our moderation queue... But I like to give the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise!

And as the poster is Indian (as is the website) there may be some language and expectation challenges. The site isn't aimed at studio-grade applications, either, but to help reduce unwanted noise in hotel and domestic rooms using low-cost and easily available materials.

With the possible exception of the 'noise-reducing paint' (is it available in tartan?), everything else in that site will work to some small degree.... And I can guarantee that if you take a typical bare walled room and install a bunch of egg cartons you will notice a reduction in reflected sound within the room which, to some, will be perceived as a reduction in unwanted sound! :think: I recall fellow students being amazed at what a difference sticking a few posters on the walls made in their halls of residence rooms!

But I wouldn't advocate nailing blankets to the walls for the OP's situation... or using egg boxes for that matter... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Folderol » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:45 pm

The thing is, what type of egg boxes are the best? Do the plastic ones sound 'brighter'?

Oi! No need to throw my coat at me :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby MOF » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks, I can spend up to $500 into this. But I couldn't find an affordable vocal booth within my budget. I'm looking for some cheaper alternatives that would do the job even to a little extent.
You could make up a wooden framework and buy enough cheap duvets, blankets or curtains for that price.
A DIY store could cut the timber pieces to size for you then using metal brackets you could join them all together. Make three sides and a roof section then drape the duvets over all sides and the opening, maybe have curtain ties on the front to keep one side open for air in between sessions, it could get a bit warm/stuffy in there.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:41 pm

That will give a very dead space for recording (probably too dead) but it won't do very much to reduce sound transmission into and out of the room.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MOF » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:57 pm

That will give a very dead space for recording (probably too dead) but it won't do very much to reduce sound transmission into and out of the room.
The OP said it’s for rehearsal Sam, not a problem for recording as you could have reverb on foldback.
I think it’s the best compromise in the circumstances.
If it’s too dead then some light panels attached to the framework inside the space would give more reflections and cut down sound transmission.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:29 pm

True, I worded that badly but I think the problem is that the OP needs 'soundproofing' not 'acoustic treatment'. It's unlikely that a makeshift booth will make enough difference to be worth the effort.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby fatbenelton » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:52 pm

Not ideal but a phone booth size frame filled with rock wool and covered in plasterboard would do something...surely? Even if the doorway leaked sound he's looking at attenuation/reduction not elimination. Whether you can do it for $500 Is another question but a wood frame and plasterboard isn't wildly expensive.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Next