You are here

Keeping sound foam on a wall

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Keeping sound foam on a wall

Postby GManVI » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:30 pm

I am new to the forums so I apologize if this is a question that has been answered before, I was unable to find anything on initial search and Google pulls up a lot of conflicting information.

I bought sound foam to put in the corner of my office, worked exactly like I had hoped and improved microphone quality, I live in an apartment, wall is standard drywall. I initially used 3M command strips. 4 total on each corner of each square. Did not hold, they randomly fall down, I restick them and they fall again eventually a day or two later.

My question isn't what is the best adhesive solution, since I am a renter I am wondering what is the best solution that will not ruin the paint on the wall when I remove them eventually? If there is no middle ground I can concede to that and would love to know the best solution that may ruin the paint anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help.
GManVI

Re: Keeping sound foam on a wall

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Acoustic foam can be tricky stuff to keep directly on a wall.

We did a Studio SOS session with Hanz Zimmer in a temporary studio installation in central London a few years back when he was writing for a Sherlock movie, and as we were heading out the door at the end of the day half the panels we'd put up fell off ... :oops:

For temporary installations like yours, the easiest solution is to use carpet contact adhesive* to glue old CD-R discs (or unwanted CDs) to the rear of the foam, either one at the top in the middle, or two at the top one each side. The relatively large surface area of the disc ensures a good adhesion.

You can then hook the centre-hole of the CD(s) over picture hooks or nails in the wall as you would with a picture frame. You could even use those 3M command picture hooks on the wall if you can't use pins/nails.

*You need to be careful with your choice of glue! Auralex sell the perfect stuff, but we've found generic spray-on carpet glue usually works just as well. However, always test first on a spare bit of foam as some glues will actually dissolve the foam panel, and some just won't stick at all....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby GManVI » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:19 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Acoustic foam can be tricky stuff to keep directly on a wall.

We did a Studio SOS session with Hanz Zimmer in a temporary studio installation in central London a few years back when he was writing for a Sherlock movie, and as we were heading out the door at the end of the day half the panels we'd put up fell off ... :oops:

For temporary installations like yours, the easiest solution is to use carpet contact adhesive* to glue old CD-R discs (or unwanted CDs) to the rear of the foam, either one at the top in the middle, or two at the top one each side. The relatively large surface area of the disc ensures a good adhesion.

You can then hook the centre-hole of the CD(s) over picture hooks or nails in the wall as you would with a picture frame. You could even use those 3M command picture hooks on the wall if you can't use pins/nails.

*You need to be careful with your choice of glue! Auralex sell the perfect stuff, but we've found generic spray-on carpet glue usually works just as well. However, always test first on a spare bit of foam as some glues will actually dissolve the foam panel, and some just won't stick at all....

Thank you so much for the quick response and great answer, this is exactly the information I was looking for. I have the discs and will go find some decent carpet glue and do some testing. Thanks again!
GManVI

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:33 pm

:thumbup:

We usually spray the glue on the foam and the CD, leave it 30 seconds or so to go tacky, and then fit one to the other -- but follow the instructions on the glue spray can.

Also, if you get some over-spray in the wrong place where it might be seen, you can usually remove it by dabbing it with the sticky side of a piece of gaffa tape! :-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 pm

The best way to do it is use silicone acetate as an adhesive.

carpet glue fails , because both it and the foam surface degrade with time....

Silicone acetate gets a solid mechanical grip in to open cell foam, but can be simply peeled off the wall surface when you need to remove the product....

lasts far longer , possibly forever.... I can name at least one posh studio which has melamine foam devices stuck up with that , and they've been there at least 15-16 years so far..... right smack above the console.......
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com