You are here

Soundproofing

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Soundproofing

Postby VanA00 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:17 am

I am building a small studio. Would MLV, r30 insulation, and stucco on the exterior be enough soundproofing(with extra insulation and soundproofing in the vocal booth?
VanA00
New here

Re: Soundproofing

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:58 am

We get quite a lot of questions like this on here so apologies if i'm teaching you to suck eggs, but have you really done your homework on this?
Soundproofing is hard. It needs mass and needs to be airtight. Getting just one aspect wrong can completely undermine any other work you've done and be hugely problematic to fix.
But tell us a bit more about your plans and maybe we can steer you towards an answer. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:10 am

Welcome to the forum :thumbup: .

Two or three forum members have built studios in their gardens oven the last few years (most recently blinddrew), many others have done so in bedrooms, basements and other domestic spaces (basement in my case) and there are even a couple of professional studio design consultants so there is a wealth of experience here.

Paraphrasing what Drew says, a search of the forum and the magazine will produce some useful information and, probably, several hours of reading. Remember that you have two separate issues, soundproofing and acoustic treatment.

Coming back with much more detail about the intended construction will allow more detailed and useful advice.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby VanA00 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:52 pm

I already made some acoustic panels for my office that work great so I’m gonna use those. Thanks for the replies. Looks like I have some reading to do.
VanA00
New here

Postby VanA00 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:56 pm

Also I’ve been researching soundproofing for a while my plans were to have the exterior be stucco on plywood and home wrap. I was going to do r30 eco touch insulation for the exterior walls. Then an air gap and mlv on that. After that it was going to be SoundBoard from my local hardware store. In the vocal booth I was going to have a layer of mlv and then a fabric wall on top of some Roxul Safe N sound for the acoustics.
VanA00
New here

Postby VanA00 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Oh and wood 2x4 studs. And the roof will be pvc self adhesive. I’m on a pretty tight budget so I can’t hire a soundproofing consultant.
VanA00
New here

Postby VanA00 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:06 pm

Yes I have done a lot of research on this and can make it air tight.
VanA00
New here

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:42 pm

Sounds like your thinking is heading in the right direction. But some diagrams would still help as not all the terms you use translate directly over here! :)
I'm not sure about your roof plan though, sounds like it might be the weak point sonically?
Also, it's worth remembering that 'soundproof' covers a lot of ground. What's good enough for a bit of acoustic guitar and vocals in a quiet neighbourhood might not cut the mustard for live drums or a noisy external space.
How big's the room going to be? I ask because the next question is about how big the vocal booth will be and to ask if you really need it?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby VanA00 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:06 am

I don’t have a floor plan but the studio is going to have an upstairs. The upstairs floor is going to 1 layer of mlv and then insulation and then another layer of mlv. The ceiling above that is going to be insulated and have a layer of mlv and have plywood then home wrap then pvc self adhesive roofing. The space will be 22 x 10 with 6x10 of it being vocal booth. I just need soundproofing enough to keep outdoor noise out.
VanA00
New here

Postby VanA00 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 am

Also a note the height of it will be 8 feet and the upstairs will be like a bed sleeping area.
VanA00
New here

Postby VanA00 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:12 am

The plywood sheathing will be 2 layers and then wrapped with tyvec stucco wrap and stucco over them. Also the doors will be solid core wooden doors with weather stripping and a door sweep.
VanA00
New here

Postby resistorman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:56 am

So what exactly is the question?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:33 am

Hmm. This sounds like its going beyond simple construction and into architecture. That's well out of my frame of knowledge.
It also sounds like you're going to be committing a lot of time and materials.
I know you said you're on a budget and couldn't afford an acoustician but I worry you may be making a false economy there. Studio design is a complex field and it's very easy to spend a lot of time and money and end up with something practically useless if just one aspect has been compromised.
So really the only helpful comment i can give on this is to really urge you to get a professional to look over your plans.
Good luck with the build. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster