You are here

Blank Studio Canvas - Where do I start

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Blank Studio Canvas - Where do I start

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:32 pm

I used Cara fabric on my panels and the results look far more professional than my modest DIY skills would suggest. It ain't cheap but it is easy to get a decent result.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:04 pm

+1 for that.
Not sure where you're based, but someone in London was selling a stack of home-made treatment panels in the small ads earlier this week >>>>
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Scouser » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:49 pm

Ok, so as mentioned I am going to make 3 panels from the 2 existing ones.

This will mean 3 panels 80cm wide, as I mentioned in the earlier post it was my hope to fire down the room from the chimney breast end that has now changed, it will be the other way around.

I just wanted some advice on where the panels would be put to best use, ie I have 4 possible spaces and 3 panels, here is diagram of room https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZydUIy ... R-PpS/view ( hopefully that link works if not it can be found on page 1 of this post. I am aiming for the 25/30% coverage that Hugh suggested.

Thanks
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:30 pm

You've really got to do the left and right mirror points. So the debate is just what to do with the third panel. The back wall/ chimney breast, the front wall behind the speakers, or as a ceiling cloud? I'd try all three and see which works best.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Scouser » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:06 am

Thanks Hugh,

Just to clarify "Mirror points" does this mean anywhere on the walls or in a specific place ?

I will be performing/recording in front of chimney breast, firing down towards workstation, so just wondered if panels should be near where I perform or down at workstation end.

Also would it be an idea to record some audio as I go along for reference ? Was thinking this may be something I could share here, to get feedback on how the sound changes, as I alter things in the room ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:19 am

Mirror points are the points where the reflection of the monitors would be visible if you placed a mirror there. In a empty room there would be one on each side wall, one on the ceiling and one on the back wall (and. in theory, one on the floor I suppose but as that's not a practical place to put an acoustic panel........ and the desk usually breaks that up though that surface can throw up it's own issues).

You'll probably need to deal with the tracking ind of the room separately as I said up-thread :-

Sam Spoons wrote:If you are recording sound with the video you also need to treat the back end of the room where the 'sound source' is going to be positioned. In a small room the flutter echoes between walls and between floor and ceiling are usually troublesome so some treatment either side and above the talent (and a sound absorbing backdrop as mentioned) will give you a better chance of getting decent sounding recordings.

HTH
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous