You are here

Blank Studio Canvas - Where do I start

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Blank Studio Canvas - Where do I start

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:32 pm

I used Cara fabric on my panels and the results look far more professional than my modest DIY skills would suggest. It ain't cheap but it is easy to get a decent result.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:04 pm

+1 for that.
Not sure where you're based, but someone in London was selling a stack of home-made treatment panels in the small ads earlier this week >>>>
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Scouser » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:49 pm

Ok, so as mentioned I am going to make 3 panels from the 2 existing ones.

This will mean 3 panels 80cm wide, as I mentioned in the earlier post it was my hope to fire down the room from the chimney breast end that has now changed, it will be the other way around.

I just wanted some advice on where the panels would be put to best use, ie I have 4 possible spaces and 3 panels, here is diagram of room https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZydUIy ... R-PpS/view ( hopefully that link works if not it can be found on page 1 of this post. I am aiming for the 25/30% coverage that Hugh suggested.

Thanks
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:30 pm

You've really got to do the left and right mirror points. So the debate is just what to do with the third panel. The back wall/ chimney breast, the front wall behind the speakers, or as a ceiling cloud? I'd try all three and see which works best.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Scouser » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:06 am

Thanks Hugh,

Just to clarify "Mirror points" does this mean anywhere on the walls or in a specific place ?

I will be performing/recording in front of chimney breast, firing down towards workstation, so just wondered if panels should be near where I perform or down at workstation end.

Also would it be an idea to record some audio as I go along for reference ? Was thinking this may be something I could share here, to get feedback on how the sound changes, as I alter things in the room ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:19 am

Mirror points are the points where the reflection of the monitors would be visible if you placed a mirror there. In a empty room there would be one on each side wall, one on the ceiling and one on the back wall (and. in theory, one on the floor I suppose but as that's not a practical place to put an acoustic panel........ and the desk usually breaks that up though that surface can throw up it's own issues).

You'll probably need to deal with the tracking ind of the room separately as I said up-thread :-

Sam Spoons wrote:If you are recording sound with the video you also need to treat the back end of the room where the 'sound source' is going to be positioned. In a small room the flutter echoes between walls and between floor and ceiling are usually troublesome so some treatment either side and above the talent (and a sound absorbing backdrop as mentioned) will give you a better chance of getting decent sounding recordings.

HTH
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Scouser » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:00 am

Just wondered if anyone can help, I'm looking to order the cara fabric but want to make sure I order the correct amount of linear metres.

I was told the width of fabric is 1.70 - cost £12.54 per linear mtr, I don't know if this is a good price ?

As mentioned above I am looking to make 3 panels 1.82 x 0.80 this measurement doesn't take into account overlap, around the edges, which is around 3 inches.

If anyone can tell me how many linear metres I need I would be very grateful.
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:17 am

You are going to need nearly 2 metres for a single panel, you will have a fair bit left over off the width. My panels were (mostly) just over 1200mm x 600mm and 50mm deep* so I could use the width most efficiently and each panel used about 800mm linear.

* Built around 1200 x 600 x 50 mm Rockwool panels with '2 x 1 PAR' timber frames
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:28 am

What depth will the panels be? This can make the difference between being a perfect fit for the fabric or tipping it over into the frustratingly-just-too-big category. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:41 am

Cost-wise it sounds about right to me. As Sam has pointed out the dimensions of your panels means you'll have a fair bit of waste unfortunately. The only thing I can think of is that if they are 800mm wide, then you could potentially do two with a single width of Cara, but it will only leave you with 50mm to play with on each panel, so that won't be an option if you're planning on wrapping all the way around the side of the frame.

There are probably ways to make it work, but it'll likely mean altering your design a bit. If you were making a large number of panels then the saving could be pretty significant, but for three then it may not be worth the bother!
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:46 am

An additional strip wood frame over the fabric might work, it could also hide the mounting brackets?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Fishnish » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:18 pm

I have a room of similar proportions -a bit bigger, but with a similar issue where a window sits almost in one of the mirror points.

I followed the very helpful SOS portable absorber guide (link below) to make up some panels for wall mounting, then made a couple of extra ones with feet and solid backs, so they could sit on the window sill when the need arises. They can also be deployed as gobos/screens for other recording tasks.

(https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -treatment)
Fishnish
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:You are going to need nearly 2 metres for a single panel,

Am I right in thinking that this allows for covering the back as well as the front? You can save a bit of money by using hessian on the back.

I usually get my Cara fabric from Soundproofingexpert on eBay but it looks like prices have increased a bit since I last bought some so your price looks pretty good - especially if it includes VAT.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:26 pm

I used weed blocker material on the backs of mine, cheap, breathable and stretchy enough to be easy to work. If it wasn't only available in black I'd have used it all round! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:46 pm

I used cheap decorators dust sheets on the back, if I'd been strapped I'd have used it on the front as well.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext