You are here

Blank Studio Canvas - Where do I start

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Blank Studio Canvas - Where do I start

Postby Scouser » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:48 pm

The depth of the panels is 2,1/4 "

Hugh mentioned, that the distance from the wall should be the same again ( If I remember correctly ) which would make it 5" total, what would be the best fixings for something to keep them a distance from the wall ?

I was thinking I might a an additional outer frame at 5" depth Perhaps that may cut down on waste ? As it seems a bit pointless wrapping it around any further that it needs to be. But then that wouldn't keep it away from the wall, sounds like I'm making life complicated !
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:58 pm

I hung my traps using picture wire and a hole drilled into the wall containing a Rawlplug and suitably-sized screw.

Then I spaced the traps from the wall quite simply by placing three chunks of suitably-sized foam behind them (at top left, top right, and bottom middle) - the tension from the picture wire and trap keeps them from falling out.

Don't build a 5-inch frame, as that will prevent the air getting to the sides and back of your trap.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Scouser » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:36 am

Just wondered, before I make this order how much smaller the panels would need to be, to have less waste ?

If it is just a small amount then maybe I could consider that before ordering.

Currently I think it stands at 2 linear mtr per panel ( Panel size 80 x 180 cm )
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:28 am

It depends on how you're planning on covering the panels. At the moment your longest panel dimension is 100mm bigger than the width of the fabric, so you'd have to run the fabric "length-ways" along the panel to cover it, which would leave you with a big strip of waste from that entire length.

To run the fabric "width-ways" and minimise waste then you'd need your longest dimension to be less than the width of the fabric (plus however much you need to overlap the edges by). So for example, a panel of 1600mm x 800mm could be done with a single width of fabric at 900mm long, and that would leave you 50mm on every side to wrap around the edges.

Something that I think Sam mentioned earlier here is that you could fix the fabric straight to the front of your frame and then use a trim to cover the edges up. If you were careful with your cuts, two 1800mm x 800mm panels could be covered with just over 1800mm of fabric. What you save on fabric may well leave you some change after buying some trim.

I find that when I'm planning things like this then drawing them out really helps. You may find that seeing it in front of you helps make sense of all of the numbers.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:44 am

What Luke said ^^^.
It all comes down to how / where you're going to attach it. Cara only stretches a little; enough to make it straightforward to get a decent finish, but not enough to think about eeking extra distance out of the cut.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Luke W » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:00 pm

blinddrew wrote:Cara only stretches a little; enough to make it straightforward to get a decent finish, but not enough to think about eeking extra distance out of the cut.

Absolutely. I find that it's worth being careful to make sure you're stretching it very evenly as well, the weave looks rather strange if it's pulled tight in some places and left a bit looser in others. Getting the centre of the panel looking nice and straight and then working out towards the edges seems to work well for me.
Luke W
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:50 pm

My panels are mostly based on 1200 x 600 mm Rockwool slabs, with the extra length added by 2 x 1 (~ 44 x 22 mm) timber framing I could get enough wrap over out of the width of the fabric to fix it to the back and needed approx 800mm linear for each panel so it worked out pretty efficient use of materials. The other advantage of working to the slab size was that the frame could be a simple perimeter frame with no extra braces and the fabric was enough to support the Rockwool even when the panels were ceiling mounted.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Scouser » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi Luke W, I was trying to send you a PM, but not having a lot of luck ?

Perhaps you don't accept pm's ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:39 pm

Scouser wrote:Hi Luke W, I was trying to send you a PM, but not having a lot of luck ?

Perhaps you don't accept pm's ?

I've checked my settings, unless I'm missing something then it's set to allow PM's from all users. Strange...
Luke W
Regular

Postby Scouser » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:14 pm

I've tried again, not the first time I've had this problem.

Hopefully you have got that, this time
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Scouser » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:55 am

Has anyone made the panels, without an outer trim, So all you see is the fabric, ie frame is on inside and covered.

Or does this require special upholstery skills
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:23 am

Frame is on the 'back' with Cara fabric stretched across. Not the neatest but easy and less wood (therefore lighter).
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:35 am

blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Scouser wrote:Has anyone made the panels, without an outer trim, So all you see is the fabric, ie frame is on inside and covered.

Yes, all my panels are like that. I just stretch the fabric around the frame and staple it at the back.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Scouser » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:23 pm

Ok so the goal posts keep changing here,I have decided to start again and not recycle existing panels, as they are filled with rockwool off a roll and i would have ended up filling new panels with bits and pieces.

So I thought it best to buy 1200 x 600 slabs, as they seem to be the biggest sizes, I have seen. So this poses yet another question 50mm or 100mm thickness ? Would 50mm suffice or is 100 the way to go ?

Also I seem to remember that they needed to be RW3 ? Many of the packs I have seen, seem to be RWA45 which seems to be lighter or less dense ? Is there a big difference between the two ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext