You are here

Blank Studio Canvas - Where do I start

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Blank Studio Canvas - Where do I start

Postby Luke W » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:13 pm

RW3 is definitely the one to go for, RWA45 isn't as dense so it's a quite a lot less effective. It also makes it harder/more of a pain to work with as it doesn't hold its shape very well and needs more supporting braces.

100mm thick would probably be my choice if you've got the room for it, you'll tame the low end a lot more with thicker panels.

I went with 50mm for my side panels but only because space was a real concern. My flat mounted ceiling panel is 100mm and my sloped one is 300mm in the middle (with an air gap behind) going down to about 50mm at the edges.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:25 pm

I'd echo the RW3 and 100mm options. Easier to work with, largely self-supporting and effective to lower frequencies. The pics in my thread (linked above) show exactly that.
I found Jewson to be the cheapest supplier who could actually get them in stock.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:59 pm

I actually went for 50mm panels with the idea that I could double them up where I wanted the extra thickness.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:29 pm

As I said in out PM exchange (for the benefit of anybody finding this thread in the future) I used 50mm RW3 and spaced it around 50mm off the surfaces.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Scouser » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:59 am

Hi Folks, I am now in the process of covering my panels and will be following Martins suggestion to hang panels with picture wire and hooks.

Just wondered what gauge of wire to use and how taught they should be wired, to accommodate sponge spacers ? Does it matter where the hooks are placed on the rear of panels, so it hangs correctly ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Previous