You are here

Should I Soundproof My Windows? Weakest links.

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Should I Soundproof My Windows? Weakest links.

Postby Platypus9 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 pm

I have a long wall that has a well-sealed sliding patio door (double-glazed), and 2 windows that are 3x4'. I don't need light from the windows, so I was planning to fill the cavities with high-density rockwool and cover with plasterboard, to reduce neighbourhood noise.

Since I can't do the same to the patio door, is it even worth soundproofing the windows?
I do need light and function from the patio door.

I also have have some 1/8" mass-loaded vinyl, but I'm not sure if it's worth using in this context, or how.
Thanks
Platypus9
Regular

Re: Should I Soundproof My Windows? Weakest links.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:05 am

If the windows are double-glazed and the seals are still effective, then it's probably not worth the effort. Most sound leakage of outside noise coming in is through the gaps at the window edges and seals.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Should I Soundproof My Windows? Weakest links.

Postby DanDan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:19 pm

I have had very good success with MDF overlapping the window. This cover Hugh's weak edge details. Certainly damp the void, but there is no advantage to high density fibre. I have used blackout blind material glued to a high density batt to create the appearance from the outside of a totally normal window. Whether there is any point to doing this given a big door, well, listen to the incoming noise at and around the windows. Guesstimate the relative amount and significant relative to the door. Measure with a Sound Level Meter if you wish. Here's the one Anthony Fauci uses..... https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/app.html
DanDan
Regular
Dan FitzGerald MIOA  MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie