You are here

Uncle Doug.

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Uncle Doug.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02 am

I’m addicted to this guy, I find hid videos very therapeutic, and educational, lots of great dry humour in there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2EKNj4qtu4
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Uncle Doug.

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:48 pm

Yeah, he's brilliant. Some great explanations of how tube amps work. (Though I could take or leave the dog bits... :beamup: )
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:06 pm

Not to be confused with Uncle Rob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J04IkWFrdg
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby resistorman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 am

These ar both great links! Thank you...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:40 am

Holy 'king ***t! Don't make that bulb limiter like that in 230 volt land!

Even for 115V he could have put the bulb in the NEUTRAL line, the same current flows but now the bulb holder, sans lamp is not live.

And please don't play around with croc clips with mains volts on them!

I shall have a look at some more but not impressed so far.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:30 am

ef37a wrote:Holy 'king ***t! Don't make that bulb limiter like that in 230 volt land!

Even for 115V he could have put the bulb in the NEUTRAL line, the same current flows but now the bulb holder, sans lamp is not live.

Dave.

In some parts of the world the notion of health and safety varies wildly.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:47 am

Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:Holy 'king ***t! Don't make that bulb limiter like that in 230 volt land!

Dave.

From the Covid-19 death toll in the richest county in the world. Bloody right!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:57 am

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

Dave.

From the Covid-19 death toll in the richest county in the world. Bloody right!

Dave.

The reason I like some of these guys videos is that they are a bit unpredictable sometimes, but they always add the disclaimer "don’t try this at home folks"
Of course, you have to point out that things are done at your own risk, these videos are very entertaining, and if you don’t add a bit is spice sometimes it all becomes very boring like politically correct comedy.
I use leaded solder, I’ve used croc clips on mains, blew up multi-meters, all sorts of things, but I wouldn’t advocate that anyone else does these things.
Youtube is entertainment, and this is all very mild compared to making a video about your home-made jet engine starting up in your back yard.
I like Uncle Doug because he’s very humorous, and his tongue is firmly in his cheek, and he’s never fazed by anything.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:06 am

So long as HE keeps his fingers out of the Edison socket AND makes sure everyone else does fine!

Yes, YT is entertainment, I am not ordering any FOOF anytime soon but that video is NOT intended as fun, it is demonstrating a piece of 'service kit'. Quite valid in a heavily controlled service dept but not for people that mend amplifiers on the kitchen table with kids, dogs and wives around. I am also suspicious of his bona fides because he seems not to know how to wire it more safely? If I find the time I shall check out some more clips.

It is also a bit old fashioned. If you want to slow start an amp, don't be a tight wad, buy a 500VA Variac! And just to add "Spice?" To the proceedings? Some solid state amp designs do not take kindly to a slow start...They go ape.***t, latchup and die!

Lead solder is no risk to you or others so long as you don't eat it. Wash hands after work.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:14 am

I can't say I'm particularly impressed with him either. He waffles rather a lot and doesn't seem to appreciate the risks he's taking (or tacitly suggesting to viewers). I get the impression his actual knowledge is quite borderline.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:44 pm

If he was teaching this kind of stuff in a college or university that way he'd be on a disciplinary interview by now! Some of that is quite shocking... well-intentioned, maybe, but as others have said videos like that are taken by many as 'professional guidance' and some of what he was showing is potentially lethal to person and product.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby resistorman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Y’all are skeert by lectricty over yonder cause your volts is too high :bouncy:
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:53 pm

resistorman wrote:Y’all are skeert by lectricty over yonder cause your volts is too high :bouncy:

On the contrary, the higher voltage incurs greater respect. It is very hard to find clear statistics but I was alarmed to find this. One in six deaths in the workplace in the US is caused by electrocution.

I would be very surprised to find it that high in uk.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Arpangel wrote:In some parts of the world the notion of health and safety varies wildly.

While I was working at Garrard (the record player people) they were taken over by a Brazilian company named Gradiente, who sent over their hi-fi range to be checked by our UK safety expert, who noticed...

...there was a tiny circuit board connected to both the mains on/off switch and the headphone socket, with traces just a few millimetres apart :shocked: :crazy: :wtf:

As we said at the time, it's probably ok in Brazil, because any dead customers can be pushed into the river to be eaten by crocodiles, to remove the evidence :shifty:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Arpangel wrote:In some parts of the world the notion of health and safety varies wildly.

While I was working at Garrard (the record player people) they were taken over by a Brazilian company named Gradiente, who sent over their hi-fi range to be checked by our UK safety expert, who noticed...

...there was a tiny circuit board connected to both the mains on/off switch and the headphone socket, with traces just a few millimetres apart :shocked: :crazy: :wtf:

As we said at the time, it's probably ok in Brazil, because any dead customers can be pushed into the river to be eaten by crocodiles, to remove the evidence :shifty:

Martin

Hah! Then of course there was the 'Death Cap' fitted to many imported guitar amps!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next