You are here

My room has at least 3 problems

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: My room has at least 3 problems

Postby Danny_79 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 pm

MOF wrote:You’re still obsessing about bass traps, which I don’t think you need.
If you’re playing a constant bass tone (try one note at a time for the bottom octaves midi C-1 to C1) does it go up and down in level appreciably as you change your position in the room? If so then by all means start adding bass absorbers. If not concentrate on damping the higher frequencies.
Good idea m8 :thumbup:
Danny_79
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Danny_79 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I'm less sure about the benefit's of having open doorways in the room, maybe not at bass frequencies though. The difference between my moderately well treated room with the door closed and with it open is dramatic. It is opening onto a small corridor in one direction and a fairly large office in the other, both fairly reflective environments.

Your bed will be a pretty effective bass trap, do you also have a sofa?

Any curtains hanging in the doorways will be free to move so do not need to be permeable to absorb sound energy. But the heavier the better IME. It may be possible to hang a couple of single duvets from the top of the door frame which should make a big difference
If bed acts as a bass trap, then one problem less i suppose :) Yeah i have a sofa. It's occupying a floor to wall edge/corner...can't put it in a wall to wall corner even if that would be even better. Interesting idea about hanging duvets at the door frame... i guess the heavier the better applies there to, regardless of material(?) To my knowledge, they are mostly made of either cloth/fabric or cotton.

I'd say a corner is a corner regardless of if it's between walls, walls and floor or walls and ceiling so the sofa will certainly act as a bass trap.

Hanging duvets across the door should make a significant difference in the mids and highs, probably less in the LF but I'd still expect it to make a useful difference. Its easy to try though so why not give it a go and let us know the result?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Danny_79 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:48 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
Danny_79 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I'm less sure about the benefit's of having open doorways in the room, maybe not at bass frequencies though. The difference between my moderately well treated room with the door closed and with it open is dramatic. It is opening onto a small corridor in one direction and a fairly large office in the other, both fairly reflective environments.

Your bed will be a pretty effective bass trap, do you also have a sofa?

Any curtains hanging in the doorways will be free to move so do not need to be permeable to absorb sound energy. But the heavier the better IME. It may be possible to hang a couple of single duvets from the top of the door frame which should make a big difference
If bed acts as a bass trap, then one problem less i suppose :) Yeah i have a sofa. It's occupying a floor to wall edge/corner...can't put it in a wall to wall corner even if that would be even better. Interesting idea about hanging duvets at the door frame... i guess the heavier the better applies there to, regardless of material(?) To my knowledge, they are mostly made of either cloth/fabric or cotton.

I'd say a corner is a corner regardless of if it's between walls, walls and floor or walls and ceiling so the sofa will certainly act as a bass trap.

Hanging duvets across the door should make a significant difference in the mids and highs, probably less in the LF but I'd still expect it to make a useful difference. Its easy to try though so why not give it a go and let us know the result?
I will surely let you know :thumbup: Right now i'm trying to figure out an easy way to hang them there without using nails as that would cause some damage. I'll probably do it by tape....seems the easiest :lol:
Danny_79
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:48 pm

I use zip ties to make a loop on each corner, make two interlocked loops, pull a corner through one of them and pull it tight but My duvet is dedicated to the task so they can stay in place. Otherwise either sew a couple of fabric loops onto the duvet at the bottom and you'll still be able to use it to sleep under. assuming your door has some kind of architrave around it a couple of very small nails/panel pins into the top will cause minimal damage.

I'd say tape is unlikely to be strong enough, and if it is will probably take the paint off the wall and/or leave residue on the fabric.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous