You are here

Small Recording Space Sound Treatment Help

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Small Recording Space Sound Treatment Help

Postby nobando » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:00 am

I was looking for some help with affordable options to acoustically treat my 8'x15' finished shed. I have 3 audimute blankets up but I am primarily an alto sax player and the slapback I get is pretty bad and very metallic sounding. I also record my distance learning videos as a music teacher, in addition to recording my sax, guitar/ukulele, and vocals. I've called audio folks that sell treatments but hoping for a more affordable way to handle this slapback. I have a link of some images of the room below, and as you can see I put some carpets down. I know this is seen as not good, but really need to tame those high frequencies for now with what I have. Putting the blue carpet down deadened the slapback a good amount but possibly took some good reflection away? Not sure. I also read about bass traps being really important but with my furniture placement, is it necessary? I was told by an acoustic treatment place the ceiling is likely the culprit but not sure where to go from here if that's true regarding a budget option. I really only recording and play where you see the blue carpet, not the desk area.

I really appreciate any help!

Thank you.

Photos are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/H3cxMJ3mt9hwu2mY7
nobando

Re: Small Recording Space Sound Treatment Help

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:49 pm

If your work is recording, rather than mixing, the easiest thing to do would be to get some cheap, thick, winter duvets and lob them over some mic stands. Make a V shape with them behind the microphone, and possibly lob one over the top.
That should make a lot more difference than the carpet.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby nobando » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:18 pm

That's really helpful for recording. Thank you. I also use the space just to practice, so I was hoping for a more permanent solution I wouldn't need to setup. But I feel like I could really use this for any extra absorption when recording.
nobando

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:52 pm

I guess one of your problems is that, as a sax player, reflections help to give you a more inspiring sound so a room that is too dead isn't going to sound satisfying. I'd probably suggest a mixture of diffusion and absorption with a few home made Rockwool panels on the walls and ceiling coupled with something angled or with a random surface (like a bookcase) to diffuse the sound.

It may be worth creating a hard wall to play against while adding more absorption to the other walls.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:00 pm

I'd say your next move should be a ceiling cloud over your recording area, I'm about to do similar, I have a cloud and mirror points treated with respect of my mix position and monitors but away from there I have a couple of small areas where the ceiling is untreated and if I record with a mic in those places I get a metallic flutter echo between the floor and ceiling. I intend to treat this areas in the next couple of months. My room is a little under 4 x 4 m and the existing DIY panels are 50mm thick Rockwool RW3 slabs built into simple wooden frames and covered with 'Cara' acoustic fabric. They are mostly around 1200 x 600mm and are suspended off the wall/ceiling by around 40mm, they look good and the room sounds pretty decent.

Edit :- I agree with James that one hard wall to play into would make the room sound more 'alive'

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby nobando » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Ok, so clouds over the recording area. Maybe move one of my absorbing sheets somewhere else to have a hard surface to play too, possibly a mix of hard and diffusion?
nobando

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:33 pm

The advantage of trying the duvet route first is that it's easy to experiment and see what works. I.e. how much you need and where best to put it. You can then build some DIY solutions with a reasonable degree of confidence that they're going to help. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...