You are here

My Studio SetUp

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

My Studio SetUp

Postby Dani Zattara » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:52 am

Hello guys.
I recently moved into a new house and set up my home studio in one of the spare rooms.

I get the most annoying low to mid-low resonance when I speak facing the computer!
Let alone when I record! I teach music via Zoom and my students can barely understand what I say. Also the room is very small.
Oddly enough I like it for playing guitar. I get a strange chorus effect that enhances the sound, but everything goes to hell when I record it.
I think it's all about that weird white piece of furniture. A bed was meant to go there.
I'm attaching some pictures.

Please any advice on what I should add to the wall without making it too ugly or without having to take off the white piece of furniture?

Thanks a lot!
Dani
Dani Zattara

Re: My Studio SetUp

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 am

Dani Zattara wrote:I get the most annoying low to mid-low resonance when I speak facing the computer! Let alone when I record! I teach music via Zoom and my students can barely understand what I say. Also the room is very small.

You haven't given us any dimensions, but the pictures show the room is, indeed, very small. it is also quite sparsely furnished and there's very little in the way of soft furnishings that could absorb sound reflections.

So it's really not surprising that it sounds boomy and unpleasant. the other issue is that in small rooms the standing waves build up at in the lower mid frequencies, giving that boomy resonant sound.

The solution is to introduce effective bass and broadband absorber panels into the room.... There are lots of manufacturers making suitable products out there, and some are actually very attractive -- although we all have different views on what that means!

But just as one example I'm familiar with, example, check out the Vicoustic art-deco panels:

https://vicoustic.com/professional-audio
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound