You are here

DIY Airpiano

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: DIY Airpiano

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Will they be available in blue?
8-)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:42 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Will they be available in blue?
8-)

Something eye catching I hope, with lots of lights, and bits that glow according to how you play.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:53 am

Arpangel wrote:
8-)

Something eye catching I hope, with lots of lights, and bits that glow according to how you play.
This is obviously where I went wrong with the YP. It just gets on with the job without any fuss :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 am

Folderol wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
8-)

This is obviously where I went wrong with the YP. It just gets on with the job without any fuss :tongue:

YP is obviously a great synthesiser, but it’s not for me, you know me Folderol, I’m old, lazy, my eyes are going, and so is my dexterity, I need big, lots of knobs that do obvious things, colours too, and lights, small screens and computers are a thing of the past for me
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:12 pm

I'm going to post up some more pics of the original creation because I'm expecting the Mega and sensors to arrive any day now, and that's pretty much all there is to it, but my woodwork skills are nowhere. I'd be more confident knocking up a 3D model and emailing it to Shapeways to print in ABS or something, but...anyway...

What's the best plan...? It looks like a hollowed-out wooden box with a sheet of "acrylic glass", someone called it...is that even a thing...? Do they mean plexiglass...? Anyway, any thoughts on how to approach this welcome.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:40 pm

Perspex is a trade name for acrylic plastic sheet. Building a simple box from a piece of 9mm plywood, an identically sized piece of Perspex and some timber 'strip wood' should be not beyond someone with basic woodworking ability? Prove the concept then either make some nice looking side cheeks or get a nicely made box built?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Building a simple box from a piece of 9mm plywood, an identically sized piece of Perspex and some timber 'strip wood' should be not beyond someone with basic woodworking ability?

Umm...OK. I'll have a go.... :thumbup:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:24 pm

Stripwood for the edges is definitely the way to go. It is much easier to manage, and you actually fit it after everything else, so you can make it a nice snug fit.
You might also need some packing pieces underneath the plexiglass/polycarb - whatever you use, to allow for the thickness of the sensors if they have heads that need to be proud.

Paint on the underside of this in reverse order and you'll get a nice glossy finish that'll never rub off :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:32 pm

I'm pretty sure there'll be a DIY shop near you that will cut sheet materials and timber to size, I was going to suggest B&Q if you were in the UK but you'd be looking at around £50 for materials and I'm sure there are much cheaper options.

Otherwise go and see a decent joiners workshop with those pics and I reckon they could make you something for not a silly amount.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I'm pretty sure there'll be a DIY shop near you that will cut sheet materials and timber to size, I was going to suggest B&Q.

Right! Now, that's a great idea. (As for joiners workshops...never heard of them. I'll look them up. I have almost an allergy to this stuff. Arpangel, don't worry, it'll be fine...)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Old Plucker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:57 am

Just noticed this thread.
So, here's one I made earlier, from 2007 I think.

https://unstablesound.net/skullamin.html

Arduino, ir sensors, leds & Max/MSP for the interaction & sonics
Old Plucker
New here

Postby Arpangel » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:40 am

BJG145 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I'm pretty sure there'll be a DIY shop near you that will cut sheet materials and timber to size, I was going to suggest B&Q.

Right! Now, that's a great idea. (As for joiners workshops...never heard of them. I'll look them up. I have almost an allergy to this stuff. Arpangel, don't worry, it'll be fine...)

Don’t worry, I’m not worrying!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:10 pm

The Arduino Mega clone arrived and works a treat. Still waiting on the extra sensors. I think I'll forget the MIDI shield and just go with MIDI over USB with a couple of buttons for presets, and an expression pedal input, like the original.

I've found a local craftsman who's going to build the case. I just ordered a couple of samples of 3mm and 5mm Red Tint 4401 Perspex to test with the sensors and make sure they still work OK.

https://www.perspexsheet.uk/red-tint-4401-perspex/

Do I need to worry about ventilation, I wonder...? I've specified a 2.5cm space to fit the electronics. Slots underneath maybe, or drill holes or something...? Not sure what the additional power requirements might be either, especially if I start adding LEDs. (40 of those square dots in the original to display height; bit of a gimmick, but I might work on it.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:14 pm

BJG145 wrote:Do I need to worry about ventilation, I wonder...? I've specified a 2.5cm space to fit the electronics. Slots underneath maybe, or drill holes or something...? Not sure what the additional power requirements might be either, especially if I start adding LEDs. (40 of those square dots in the original to display height; bit of a gimmick, but I might work on it.)

It all depends on how much current is being drawn by the electronics, which in turn will determine any temperature rises. Difficult to make a guesstimate methinks.

I should construct the circuit board and run it on a test rig to see how warm it gets, and that should give you a better idea.

As for the LEDs, most red ones will provide a suitable level of illumination with 5mA current, but that still means 200mA in total.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:04 pm

Thanks Martin. I just did a bit of Googling on LEDs and Arduino, and it all seems to be about Neopixels now, so I just ordered an eight-way strip to test.

They seem to come in various shapes and sizes and you can daisy-chain them to the Arduino.

All the nice colours will be a bit wasted behind 5mm of red-tinted Perspex, but that seems to be just how they come, and as with the Arduino there are plenty of cheap compatibles.

I don't know the practicalities of handling current and power with Arduino. So far I've only powered individual sensors and LEDs from the board. But with eight of those strips, and eight of the Sharp sensors, I'm thinking I might need to build a separate power circuit...? In the pic of the original Airpiano above it looks like there's an input for a PSU next to the USB socket and this spec sheet mentions 9V power.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext