You are here

Rockwool thread spin-off

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Rockwool thread spin-off

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:50 pm

I wanted to clarify this but realised it wasn't really on topic, so:

shufflebeat wrote:I've been toying with fettling some 45kg/m³ Knauf ecose into some mobile panels but the limp nature of it is making framing/finishing into more effort than I can contemplate, coupled with the expense of trial and error design.

I noticed in a certain well known DIY shop the other day some workshop floor tiles made from hard wearing foam sponge and coincidentally two of these would fit a R/W panel and 6 high Hz foam tiles just about perfectly.

At the risk of ridicule... It seems logical that two of those tiles with as many holes as I can manage to allow air passage as a rear panel, a R/W panel in front of that, cheesecloth lightly PVAd and wrapped around that, some foam tiles in front and possible some PVC trim round the edge for the ladies is feasible.

Have I broken anything?

blinddrew wrote:Critical thing is whether it's open or closed cell foam. You need the former for the air to pass through it and any absorbance to take place.

shufflebeat wrote:I reckon I could cut almost 1/2 the material out of the (closed cell) foam tiles with a hole cutter without compromising the structural benefits. Not worth considering?

blinddrew wrote:The energy is absorbed by the movement of air though the foam. Closed cell = no air movement = no absorption.

Thanks for that D and I understand what you're saying but I think there's a point you may have missed.

The closed foam backing would be mostly hole as I would be drilling as many 2" holes in it as I can get away with without collapsing the structure.

Maybe I'll give it a go in the interest of pseudoscience.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Rockwool thread spin-off

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:11 pm

Ah, sorry, you're talking about using the foam to support the rockwool?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:17 pm

I think that might work but from a cost perspective have you considered those fancy fretwork MDF panels said 'well known DIY retailer' also sells for radiator boxes and such like?

https://www.diy.com/departments/porchester-smooth-mdf-screening-panel-l-1-83m-w-0-61m-t-6mm/1696224_BQ.prd
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:08 am

That would have been way quicker than the panels I cut myself for my bass traps! :)
But I think they'd be quite a lot more reflective, there is a lot more material there than Shuffle's proposed 20%.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:24 am

This is what I'm considering for £10

https://www.diy.com/departments/auto-pr ... 021_BQ.prd

This would be behind the r/w, mainly for structure and in front would be yer actual acoustic tiles for HF purposes.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:12 am

Behind would work I think, if they are like some camping flooring panels I have it may be quite flexible so would allow LF to pass.

2" circles separated by 1" on a square grid would give 35% coverage, CBA working it out on a hex/triangular grid but it would be a bit higher.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:46 am

Sam Spoons wrote:CBA working it out on a hex/triangular grid but it would be a bit higher.
40% ;)
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:27 am

Nice work guys, now is that good or bad? If it's good - can anyone use a free set of draughts (checkers)?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster