You are here

Worth paying extra for Neutrik?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Worth paying extra for Neutrik?

Postby adrian_k » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi,
I'm about to make up some cables, I've always bought Neutrik before for home made stuff but I'm just looking at some Studiospares own brand made up leads I've had for at least 10 years and never had a problem with despite being lugged around for location recording.

So I'm thinking I might save some money and go own brand for the connectors this time, especially since once they are plugged in I will rarely move them.

Anyone any experience of these?
thanks
A
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Re: Worth paying extra for Neutrik?

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:46 pm

This may not be a popular opinion but personally I've found Neutrik XLR plugs awkward to solder and prefer their 'Rean' sub-brand.
But I think it really comes down to use - if it's fit and forget then I think you can go budget fairly safely. If it's for a live rig that's going to be taken down and reinstralled on a regular basis then it's worth investing.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:56 pm

I'm intrigued, Drew -- what is it about the Neutrik that you find fiddly and why is the Rean easier for you?

For the OP, I can certainly see the argument for saving money on connectors for permanent installation. The only thing I'd say is that not all XLRs are built to the 'correct' dimensions and I have come across instances of unreliable connections in the past that turned out to be due to poor mating of no-brand connectors!

Rean is a lower-cost variant of Neutrik, though, so should at least meet the right tolerances...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby adrian_k » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Thank you chaps, I shall have a look at the Rean ones. At least I would if Studiospares website would let me log in. It thinks I am a robot and has temporarily disabled my login.

Perhaps I am! I mean how would you know?
adrian_k
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:28 pm

adrian_k wrote:Perhaps I am! I mean how would you know?

If you cut yourself white gloop comes out instead of red juices... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby adrian_k » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
adrian_k wrote:Perhaps I am! I mean how would you know?

If you cut yourself white gloop comes out instead of red juices... :lol:

Ok it's orange gloop what does that mean? :shocked:
adrian_k
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:18 pm

Time for a service.... you've been a very bad robot? :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:26 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm intrigued, Drew -- what is it about the Neutrik that you find fiddly and why is the Rean easier for you?
Ah. Now that you mention it, and I think about it more sensibly, I recall that I'm remembering having issues with TRS plugs (particularly right-angled ones) not XLRs. :oops:
And it was just that the solder points were very close together on the Neutrik plug and better spaced on the Rean ones.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:07 pm

Ah yes, that makes a lot more sense.

All right-angle connectors are fiddly, and I know what you mean about the proximity of tip and ring terminals in the Neutrik TRS plugs.

It is possible to ease the ring terminal out slightly if necessary, but I find the trick is to cut the wires (and screen) to the right lengths first! Pre-tin the right hand edge of the sleeve, solder the hot wire into the tip connection, then feed the cold wire through the hole in the ring connection and solder on top, and finally solder the screen to the sleeve.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Trevor Johnson » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:30 pm

I've just checked my parts box and tried in unsoldered male XLRs into my mic preamp. The Neutrick and Crean insert and remove as expected, whereas the generic XLR is slightly stiffer.

The Neutrik reminds me of the old Cannon connector, in terms of heft. Otherwise, in practice, there is little to choose from between the Neutrik and Crean, other than cost.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:40 pm

I have some Studiospares pre-made cables.

They are very robust and not at all flimsy BUT both male and females are a very very tight fit into their other-sex counterparts made by other companies.

OTOH I've also had some pre-made cables (budget make - can't remember which, but not Sspares) where the female plug was a very sloppy fit onto an XLR mic causing intermittent loss of signal when the mic was handheld.

I'm a fan of Rean connectors too.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Fishnish » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:37 pm

I have cables with Neutrik XLRs as well as Studiospares and Thomann own brand ones in use in a home studio.

The Neutriks are probably 30 years old (a remnant from touring PA days) and have never given me any problem. The own branded cables are much newer. They've never given me any problem either, but the connectors can be a bit stiff, so I tend to use them in set and forget scenarios. The cables with Neutriks are the ones I pick out of the box first for more temporary cabling tasks and I try to avoid plugging the others into the outputs of my (semi) posh mics etc. Pulling the cheaper connectors out of similarly non-branded sockets on budget gear can sometimes trigger my tennis elbow. The cables work fine, as do my Pultec clones, but the money I saved ends up going to the physio.

I have quite a few cables with Rean connectors too and they usually give me no problems.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby John Pinchin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 pm

If it's in a studio setting an rarely going to move, then I would be happy with cheaper connecters - imho the main cause of failure with home made cables is the soldering and strain relief more often than the type of connector.
I'm happy with the rean connectors and wouldn't hesitate to use them though.
John Pinchin
New here

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:54 pm

I too find the tags a bit tricky in the Neutrik TRS pug, specially now my depth perception is shot.

Cheaper plugs? Yes, a few years ago I needed a lot of TRS plugs and found a very nice Gold plated job, heavy gauge metal body and a strain relief spring and I got three for the price of one nukey. I am not knocking the more costly product, they are worth the extra for certain jobs but a bit silly to spend that much for them to spend the next five years behind a patch bay!

One thing the cheaper plugs don't have is a really good cable clamp so I run 30mm or so of heatshrink over them and that locks them up nicely.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby adrian_k » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:46 pm

ef37a wrote:I am not knocking the more costly product, they are worth the extra for certain jobs but a bit silly to spend that much for them to spend the next five years behind a patch bay!

That's where I'm at :) I've now found a website that doesn't think I'm a robot (little do they know), so I'm sorted. Thanks all!
adrian_k
Frequent Poster

Next