You are here

Worth paying extra for Neutrik?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Worth paying extra for Neutrik?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:50 am

adrian_k wrote:...on a 'normal' balanced TRS I would connect screen to the sleeve and the other two to tip and ring paying attention to getting them the right way round.

Correct!

But each individually jacketed core in this two way multicore is a three wire, one of which is not insulated so I would treat as an 'earth'...

Yes. That un-insulated one is the drain wire and that connects to the plug sleeve so that it is grounded.

I'm then still left with this very flimsy foil screen that encases both cores.

If each individually jacketed cable is already screened -- and it sounds like it is -- then this flimsy screen is probably just part of the overall packing/wrapping. You can't solder foil screens directly, so unless there's a drain wire in there I'd leave it alone!

And even if there is a drain wire, it would necessarily be outside the individually jacketed cables going to each plug... so how on earth are you supposed to connect it to the plug neatly?

This sounds like a secondary screen for use in hostile environments when the cable is connecting stage boxes or similar.

Can you provide a link for the cable supplier so we can see exactly what you are using, please?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:04 am

"
Can you provide a link for the cable supplier so we can see exactly what you are using, please?"

DOUBLE, pretty please! ^ I have probably confused the issue not knowing exactly what is going on.

This is why I always prefer such ad hoc extensions to terminate in a metal box at at least one end then use short patch leads to the kit. Overall screening is then obvious and easy to take care of.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby adrian_k » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:46 pm

Sorry, this is the cable:

https://prostage.no/sommer-cable/153638/sommer-mistral-mcf-multikabel-sort--2-x-0-22-mm-x-ant-par. (Picture shows 4 cores but mine is two.)

I think I had finally got there but Hugh’s point-by-point above seems to confirm: solder the cores as you would normal balanced cable and ignore the outer foil screen and drain wire. I can’t imagine my room is sufficiently hostile to need the extra screening, and I’m not using a stage box.

Cheers and thank you
A
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:34 pm

adrian_k wrote:Sorry, this is the cable:

As yes. You don't need to worry about the outer foil shield in your application.

The convention with white/blue core colours is white to hot (tip, pin-2) and blue to cold (ring, pin-3). The pre-tinned foil drain wire to the ground (sleeve, pin-1).

I always like to use a two-inch length of heat-shrink (adhesive type if possible) to cover the cut-back outer sheath to make it look neat and tidy, and it also provides some useful strain relief.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby adrian_k » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I always like to use a two-inch length of heat-shrink (adhesive type if possible) to cover the cut-back outer sheath to make it look neat and tidy, and it also provides some useful strain relief.

Yes good point. If I'd gone Neutrik there would have been no strain relief at all as far as I can see as the cores look too thin to be held by the 'chuck'. These budget ones have crimp-style lugs so that will provide something, but the heatshrink will help.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
adrian_k wrote:I always like to use a two-inch length of heat-shrink (adhesive type if possible) to cover the cut-back outer sheath to make it look neat and tidy, and it also provides some useful strain relief.

Or if you don't have any heat-shrink, or the cable's already been put together, then self amalgamating tape is a good second best.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:57 pm

adrian_k wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:I always like to use a two-inch length of heat-shrink (adhesive type if possible) to cover the cut-back outer sheath to make it look neat and tidy, and it also provides some useful strain relief.

Yes good point. If I'd gone Neutrik there would have been no strain relief at all as far as I can see as the cores look too thin to be held by the 'chuck'. These budget ones have crimp-style lugs so that will provide something, but the heatshrink will help.

Ah! "strain relief" I recently made up two 5mtr TRS cables using some 3mm OD cable I have a reel of. I therefore used 50mm of the outer of some Cat5 cable to beef up the end where the strain relief clamp is. You can also build up a cable's diameter with shrink sleeving.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:03 pm

adrian_k wrote: If I'd gone Neutrik there would have been no strain relief at all as far as I can see as the cores look too thin to be held by the 'chuck'. These budget ones have crimp-style lugs so that will provide something, but the heatshrink will help.

I think Hugh meant where the cable splits from 1 into 2. But it will help anywhere you put it!

Neutrik did (and I assume still do) make their "chucks" in a smaller size for thin cable, either available separately, or you could specify if ordering the boxes of 500 (or was it 250?). In much the same way as the coloured boots.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:03 pm

adrian_k wrote:If I'd gone Neutrik there would have been no strain relief at all as far as I can see as the cores look too thin to be held by the 'chuck'. These budget ones have crimp-style lugs so that will provide something, but the heatshrink will help.

I normally have short lengths of cable lying round from which I can chop an inch of outer sleeving to slip over fine cables to fit the Neutrik grips.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Dan LB » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:03 am

shufflebeat wrote:
adrian_k wrote:If I'd gone Neutrik there would have been no strain relief at all as far as I can see as the cores look too thin to be held by the 'chuck'. These budget ones have crimp-style lugs so that will provide something, but the heatshrink will help.

I normally have short lengths of cable lying round from which I can chop an inch of outer sleeving to slip over fine cables to fit the Neutrik grips.

Or........ Hellerman sleeves are your friend here.
https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/39-4 ... ack-of-100

You do need the tool Hellerman tool though
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:02 am

Dan LB wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:

AND some silicone grease! Ooo! Hells' do their own lubricant. Eleven quid +! I still have a tube of RadSpad transistor mounting grease, works fine. Must 30 years old.

"Cockpit Shine" about £1.99 from Halfords would do as well I dare say.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:29 am

Dan LB wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:

Very useful, although I think it's crazy that they're paying someone to chop up bits of cable and remove the sleeve for recycling, might be some kind of govt. funded job creation scheme.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Previous