You are here

Hey Guys Really need some feedback on my control room

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Hey Guys Really need some feedback on my control room

Postby Nickalpha » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:23 am

Hello Guys i need help with converting my living room to a mixing room. My Goal here is to create a mixing environment that i can mix in that will translate. This room is only for mixing no recording of any sort. I am just starting the process of treating the space. Currently the room as no Acoustic treatment. As for isolation i know i will not be able to get much since i am in a rented house, what i have done so far is to block up both windows and it as helped a lot in terms of some isolation. the Room dimensions are 17' 3'' Length 10' Width 8' 8'' Height and all walls are Concrete made of 4'' blocks with pockets filled with Concrete. Walls are 4'' thick including the ceiling. My neighbors get loud at times i get like 53 db with my meter at times i live on the same building. I live in Kingston Jamaica where some material are hard to find and expensive so any alternative would be welcome. My Monitors are the Kali Lp 6s Plugged into my digi003. My budget at the current moment is $500 US can push this a bit if needs be.

QUESTIONS

1. What treatment should i start with base on my rooms dimensions and my REW results.
2. Can this room be use and get to where i can mix and the mix translate.
Here is my room test with Mdat....... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Here is a pic of my room..... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Nickalpha
Poster

Re: Hey Guys Really need some feedback on my control room

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 am

You .rar'd images?! Seriously, dont! JPG or PNG is fine; they are compressed already. I gave up waiting for the google spinner to show me anything after a few seconds. There is no need for .rar these days!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Nickalpha » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:You .rar'd images?! Seriously, dont! JPG or PNG is fine; they are compressed already. I gave up waiting for the google spinner to show me anything after a few seconds. There is no need for .rar these days!
Okay Sorry about that will upload them now.
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:11 am

No need to apologise :-)

We have a number of folk here who are very knowledgeable about room acoustics and access to images is always useful. RAR archives are cool for those who have the client software to unpack them but not everyone has it, any archive format is an extra step and not everyone is going to go there.

The directory of images is much more accessible so it's more likely someone will come along and share some insights :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Nickalpha » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:16 am

Thanks much for your help really appreciate it.
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:49 pm

Are you allowed to screw things into the walls or does all the treatment have to be floor standing?

Can you buy materials like Owens Corning 703, Rockwool RW3 or Rocksil RS60 where you are?

If you are allowed to screw to the walls then I'd suggest making panels from the above materials covered with breathable fabric and screwing them to the walls and ceilings at the reflection points.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:04 pm

And if you can't attach things to the wall it's not that difficult to make free-standing panels. Any bass trapping you can get into the corners would help as well.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Nickalpha » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:36 pm

James Perrett wrote:Are you allowed to screw things into the walls or does all the treatment have to be floor standing?

Can you buy materials like Owens Corning 703, Rockwool RW3 or Rocksil RS60 where you are?

If you are allowed to screw to the walls then I'd suggest making panels from the above materials covered with breathable fabric and screwing them to the walls and ceilings at the reflection points.
Hey James thanks for the reply I can make standing treatment and i can get Owens r11 fiberglass where i am at.
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Nickalpha » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 pm

blinddrew wrote:And if you can't attach things to the wall it's not that difficult to make free-standing panels. Any bass trapping you can get into the corners would help as well.
Thanks much for your reply blinddrew i definitely can make free standing panels. How deep should i go with these?
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:15 pm

Well, the deeper the panel the more effective it is at lower frequencies. But, you can get a very similar level of effectiveness by having a shallower panel spaced away from the wall. E.g. a 50mm panel spaced 50mm away from the wall will be almost as effective as a 100mm panel right up against the wall. If you're making free standing panels I'd be very tempted to look at the panels made by Luke W when he did his studio - have a look towards the bottom of page 4 on this thread: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 9&start=45
You'll want to deal with the mirror points first, but a couple of panels across the corners will help with the low frequencies.

EDIT: correction, sorry, I misremembered what Luke had done. For your purpose you'd be better without having the wooden backing on the panels. Fabric covered front and rear is what you want to allow the air to pass through.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Luke W » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:07 pm

blinddrew wrote:I misremembered what Luke had done.

I do that quite a lot too.

You’re right though, with fabric either side they’d be a great solution for something like this. Nickalpha, I do have more photos of the process of building those freestanding panels, but by that point in the thread I’d already bored everyone with quite enough construction pictures. If you need to know/see anything that’s not clear from what’s already in the thread then just let me know and I’m sure I can dig some out for you.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby James Perrett » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:13 pm

Nickalpha wrote:Hey James thanks for the reply I can make standing treatment and i can get Owens r11 fiberglass where i am at.

It looks like r11 is fairly standard insulation which isn't really dense enough for efficient sound absorption. While it will make a room sound deader, you may also notice that it sounds a bit boomy as it may not absorb the lower midrange as well as 703 does.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Nickalpha » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:46 am

blinddrew wrote:Well, the deeper the panel the more effective it is at lower frequencies. But, you can get a very similar level of effectiveness by having a shallower panel spaced away from the wall. E.g. a 50mm panel spaced 50mm away from the wall will be almost as effective as a 100mm panel right up against the wall. If you're making free standing panels I'd be very tempted to look at the panels made by Luke W when he did his studio - have a look towards the bottom of page 4 on this thread: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 9&start=45
You'll want to deal with the mirror points first, but a couple of panels across the corners will help with the low frequencies.

EDIT: correction, sorry, I misremembered what Luke had done. For your purpose you'd be better without having the wooden backing on the panels. Fabric covered front and rear is what you want to allow the air to pass through.
Thanks much blinddrew I started to make the free stand traps. Fabric front and rear, will check the post.
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Nickalpha » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:50 am

Luke W wrote:
blinddrew wrote:I misremembered what Luke had done.

I do that quite a lot too.

You’re right though, with fabric either side they’d be a great solution for something like this. Nickalpha, I do have more photos of the process of building those freestanding panels, but by that point in the thread I’d already bored everyone with quite enough construction pictures. If you need to know/see anything that’s not clear from what’s already in the thread then just let me know and I’m sure I can dig some out for you.
Hey Luke thanks a lot man i looked at your work and i love it building my panels like that right now thanks much man.
Nickalpha
Poster

Next