You are here

Hey Guys Really need some feedback on my control room

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Hey Guys Really need some feedback on my control room

Postby Nickalpha » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:53 am

James Perrett wrote:
Nickalpha wrote:Hey James thanks for the reply I can make standing treatment and i can get Owens r11 fiberglass where i am at.

It looks like r11 is fairly standard insulation which isn't really dense enough for efficient sound absorption. While it will make a room sound deader, you may also notice that it sounds a bit boomy as it may not absorb the lower midrange as well as 703 does.
Wow so i need some thing denser. i can get rockwool to buy but it's really expensive here sigh.. is there something else i can use like open cell foam, would that work
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Luke W » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:03 am

You really want to aim for something that's around the 60kg/m3 mark, foam won't be dense enough to work effectively (or at all) at the low end.

The brand isn't important though, so it's worth having a look round to see which companies have the cheapest options where you are. Something I found useful here is to look at general building suppliers as they can be priced quite a bit lower than audio/studio suppliers.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:43 am

Earthwool is the same kind of stuff and can be cheaper. But definitely try a builder's merchant, i got mine from Jewson in the UK.
Where are you based Nickalpha?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Nickalpha » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:41 pm

Luke W wrote:You really want to aim for something that's around the 60kg/m3 mark, foam won't be dense enough to work effectively (or at all) at the low end.

The brand isn't important though, so it's worth having a look round to see which companies have the cheapest options where you are. Something I found useful here is to look at general building suppliers as they can be priced quite a bit lower than audio/studio suppliers.
Thank you Luke for your reply i am currently looking a round to see what i can find.
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Nickalpha » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:44 pm

blinddrew wrote:Earthwool is the same kind of stuff and can be cheaper. But definitely try a builder's merchant, i got mine from Jewson in the UK.
Where are you based Nickalpha?
Hey blinddrew i live in Jamaica. Earthwool is here but very expensive and i just got in touch with a place selling rockwool and it is $24usd per 2' by 4' (Each)
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:49 pm

Oof! That is expensive!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:55 pm

It is worth checking the exact product spec. Owens Corning 703, Rocksil Earthwool RS60 and Rockwool RW3 are the ones to go for. Just saying Earthwool, Rockwool or Owens Corning is meaningless as they're available in all kinds of different specifications.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Nickalpha » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:00 pm

blinddrew wrote:Oof! That is expensive!
Yeah these product are really expensive here but if that's what i have to do i wiil
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Nickalpha » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:01 pm

James Perrett wrote:It is worth checking the exact product spec. Owens Corning 703, Rocksil Earthwool RS60 and Rockwool RW3 are the ones to go for. Just saying Earthwool, Rockwool or Owens Corning is meaningless as they're available in all kinds of different specifications.
Yeah will have to go with the rockwool here it's the only thing dense enough.
Nickalpha
Poster

Previous