You are here

Home Studio sounds bad need some advice

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Home Studio sounds bad need some advice

Postby nevdh » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:26 pm

Sooo after building an overkill amount of panels...I wanted a consistent, polished look for video. I hung them and now I'm very confused by the results. haha. My goal was to damp down the really bad reverb in the room. Since this is going to be mainly for talking ahead online class stuff videos I wasn't that concerned about the low end. For complete lack of a better phrase I didn't eliminate the reverb, it seems i "reshaped it" and intensified the high end. It seems to be reflecting a lot from the corners now...just the guess of my untrained ears. What can I do? I have several unused boards left if I need the corners or the ceiling.

Panel construction is - Rockwool 1.5" 24x48 panels r60 or R80 cant remember. Wrapped in thin broadcloth with wood frames.

Pics of room
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DpzeF8nwRUypQHQX6

layout of room vaulted ceiling is 8 to 12 feet high
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jZZSraNVv01WbY910DE-9FffIg6l32EU/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the help!
nevdh
New here

Re: Home Studio sounds bad need some advice

Postby nevdh » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:42 pm

Thanks! should be fixed
nevdh
New here

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:44 pm

(The above message was in response to me notifying nevdh about a broken link in the original post)

No problem - I think it's all as it should be now :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:47 pm

You definitely need some on the ceiling, without them you have only done half a job and it's not surprising that the room still sounds bad. If you're not worried about the low end you can deal with that with a HPF but when you listen on the room you'll still hear the issues.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:12 pm

Mods: Wouldn't this be better placed in 'DIY... Studio Design'?

But leaving that aside, as soon as I saw the words, 'Vaulted Ceiling' I knew where the problem probably was.

I've had nightmares with vaulted ceilings both in live-sound situations and when called in to advise on sound-system installs.

As Sam says: you need some treatment up there too. Without seeing it/hearing it I can't comment on whether it's panels, clouds or both...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:14 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Mods: Wouldn't this be better placed in 'DIY... Studio Design'?

No sooner said than done. :thumbup:
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:16 am

When I did my room/project studio I used Auralex. I sent them a drawing of my room. They provide a free analysis when you buy their room kit.

https://auralex.com/shop-residential/ro ... ator-kits/

They sent me back a drawing of where to place the abosrbers/reflectors.

With a room with your complexity, I would not leave it to chance.

You need to show them where you sit for mixing, and let them design the treatment.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:41 am

Yeah you need absorbers on the ceiling as well, and leave some inches of air between them and the ceiling.

Also, you said you built the panels. What material did you use for the absorption? Is the textile "breathable"?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby nevdh » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:04 am

Thanks everyone!

Cool I did not realize that. How would you go about about hanging them a couple inches from the ceiling. It's a popcorn ceiling that I assume is something like drywall.

I used a pretty thin broadcloth from the local craft store. I can feel my breath when I breathed through it so i think it's good.
nevdh
New here

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:17 am

The broadcloth should be fine if you can breathe through it. :thumbup:
As for the ceiling, I'll have to leave that to one of the others as i put all my treatment on a frame. But i'd start by working out where the joists are then you can hang things either with picture wire or hook-and-eye fittings.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:01 am

I used plasterboard fixings like these to hang my ceiling panels

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-35mm-100-pack/47347
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:02 pm

nevdh wrote:Thanks everyone!

Cool I did not realize that. How would you go about about hanging them a couple inches from the ceiling. It's a popcorn ceiling that I assume is something like drywall.

I used a pretty thin broadcloth from the local craft store. I can feel my breath when I breathed through it so i think it's good.

Yeah then the textile should be fine. I was thinking also of the actual absorbent material, it's possible to think the denser/the better and end up with stuff that reflects certain frequency bands instead of absorbing them.

But of course you may simply bet getting lots of early reflections from the ceiling, as of the above.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby nevdh » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 am

Thanks everyone!
nevdh
New here