You are here

Acoustic treatment in flat room 12,5m2

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Acoustic treatment in flat room 12,5m2

Postby Nequez » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:10 am

Hi guys im willing to buy my first monitors, but im worried about my acoustic treatment, My room is 2,5x5m. I made a project of him, you can check it out here https://freeimage.host/i/2Wj3fp

I heard that if you clap your hand hard, and hear like metallic echo, that means that adaptation is bad, im no expert in it and would like to hear some opinion from more experienced people. Is additional treatment required or maybe it's good enough? How can i do it effectively better?

Also if u can reccomend what monitors should i buy? Im thinking about ADAM T5V and Eris 4,5
Nequez
Poster

Re: Acoustic treatment in flat room 12,5m2

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:21 am

The good news is that the bed will act as a bass trap, that's about it for good news though, 2.5 x 2.0 m is pretty small for a studio even without it being a bedroom too, secondly having the monitors equal distance from the side walls firing down the longer dimension of the room is usually better but that looks difficult in your space.

The metallic ringing s most likely a flutter echo between floor and ceiling and treating the ceiling above your listening position should make a big difference, I'd start with a couple of panels there and a panel above the TV where you have the words 'empty wall' and see how that improves the sound. We'd normally suggest 'mirror points' on the side walls too but I don't think that's practical in your room from your drawing.

The best option would be if you could move the room around to get your studio desk where the bed is now and treat the walls and ceiling mirror points but I understand that that may be impossible.

WRT monitors the Eris range get some love on here, I haven't heard them but I think they'd be a safe buy as would the Adams. You'll still need to check mixes on good headphones though.

HTH
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Nequez » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:44 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The best option would be if you could move the room around to get your studio desk where the bed is now and treat the walls and ceiling mirror points but I understand that that may be impossible.
HTH

Yes that would be too big change for this moment, thanks for letting me know i should pay more attention to the upper site of the room. Did you also mean bass traps in the corners between celing and walls or just panels?

Sam Spoons wrote:secondly having the monitors equal distance from the side walls firing down the longer dimension of the room is usually better but that looks difficult in your space.
HTH
Does it mean that i should move my desk further from bed to make it in the center of the wall?

And one more question, you said that 2,5x2,0 is small for a studio, but my room is 2,5 x 5m, is that still small?
Nequez
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:17 pm

Sorry, I misread your OP, 5 x 2.5 is not too bad, mine is 4 x 4 m so much the same area.

If you can move the desk to the middle of the wall that might help with stereo imaging but whatever you do will be a compromise. When you have some treatment in place give it a try though.

WRT panels I would put a couple on the ceiling above and in front of the listening position to reduce the flutter echo at the mixing position and the first reflection* from the monitors, then something on the back wall* as it is the closest wall. We usually say that you can't have too many bass traps in a small room so, yes, if you can fit some then do so but they are in addition to the panels I mention above.

* Mirror points, the points where, if you placed a mirror you would see your monitors reflected when sitting in you mixing chair. These are also where the first reflections of sound from the monitors to reach your ear come from. Normally the ceiling and side walls but your side walls are much further away that the back wall so tie back wall is more significant. Just thinking about blinddrew's frame, maybe a couple of smallish (600 x 600 mm) moveable panels either side of the desk might be a practical way to control the side mirror points?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Nequez » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:36 pm

Aight man, now i know on what i should focus firstly. Thanks again for putting me on road i couldnt get on for a quite long time.
Nequez
Poster

Postby Nequez » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: Just thinking about blinddrew's frame, maybe a couple of smallish (600 x 600 mm) moveable panels either side of the desk might be a practical way to control the side mirror points?

That's an idea but i have to think it trough, anyway once again thanks
Nequez
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:52 pm

:thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster