You are here

Speaker Placement

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Speaker Placement

Postby dennisj » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:31 pm

Hey!

Wondering if anyone can help!

I've recently acquired a new room at home to mix in and i'm in the process of setting things up and while I've got pretty good results with the initial setup i feel as though the the stereo image is pulling slightly to the right. The speakers are firing down the longest part of the room and i'm sitting about 40 percent into the room with panels to the left and right of speakers.

The room setup is not completely symmetrical which is probably the reason for this...

Along the right hand side of the listening position there are 2 alcoves, one at the front of the room and one at the back. This means that to the right of the speaker is an alcove but it ends where my listening position is.

At present both speakers are placed equal distance from the walls but this means that my listening position is closer to the right hand wall that sticks out than it is to the left wall. What i'm wondering is whether it is better to place the speakers at equal distances including the alcove or to place my listening position in the middle of the room ignoring the alcove. Hope that makes some sort of sense...

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
dennisj
New here

Re: Speaker Placement

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:51 pm

I think the dull answer is, 'try it and see' - trying to apply any kind of acoustic theory to real rooms is an exercise in futility for most of us (and why acousticians earn their living), so just shuffle them across and see how it sounds. It's far more important for the balance to be right in the listening position than for the speakers to be in a theoretically-correct place.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby dennisj » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:04 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, i think that makes sense, just wondered if there would be much of a benefit before i moved stuff around but not harm in trying!

Cheers.
dennisj
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Any spatial differences in the vicinity of the speakers will affect the stereo image due to combinations of diffraction and reflection. That includes objects near or between the speakers -- like monitor screens -- as well as different boundary surfaces like walls, windows, alcoves, equipment bays, or whatever.

If the layout is not close to being symmetrical, all bets are off... and you'll just have to experiment with different speaker and listening positions to try and find a workable compromise.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby dennisj » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:25 pm

Cool, thanks for the response Hugh! Will have a play around.

Cheers.
dennisj
New here

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:39 am

Depending upon your budget & the dimensions of the room would one of those sliding wardrobe doors on rails across the first alcove be practical? Although I'm guessing if your listening position is 40% into the room it isn't huge.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?

Postby dennisj » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Yeah, there are actually doors on that side but they are not very heavy duty and are they're not too close to the wall that sticks out. Moving the listening position to the left a bit seems to have helped but will have a go with the doors to see if i can better the results!
dennisj
New here

Postby earsay » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:01 pm

How about (ideally) 2 friends holding a speaker each, move the speakers around while you listen. Might challenge the friendships but suitable enticements/rewards could help.

I would also try comparing the effects of different speaker (and listening) positions with headphone listens.
earsay

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:34 pm

earsay wrote:How about (ideally) 2 friends holding a speaker each, move the speakers around while you listen. Might challenge the friendships but suitable enticements/rewards could help.

Yep, that's the ideal all right - perhaps the key would be if you've got friends who would appreciate you doing the same for their system in turn.

If none of those are available, you can simply try placing your two loudspeakers around 4-feet apart, either side of am imaginary line drawn down the centre of the room from front to back, with their tweeters slightly toed in, and then sitting in your chair at different positions from front to back in the room, as well as hunkering down in your seat or alternatively lifting your body up, until you find a position where the stereo imaging is sharpest.

If you can't achieve a suitably solid central image with a mono signal you'll probably need to place your loudspeakers slightly less far apart or toe them in more, and if you find you get good imaging when you hunker down, the loudspeakers with need to be placed at a lower height (or angled up slightly on their stands) so you get similar imaging at your normal sitting height, and vice versa.

It's certainly more of a fiddle to do this yourself, but perfectly possible ;)

Martin
Martin Walker