You are here

Alternative to Boss ACA 240 PSU.

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Alternative to Boss ACA 240 PSU.

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:52 pm

I have just resurrected an old Roland PC-200 mkii keyboard and donated to #3 for his midi duties.

If memory serves I used it a few times with batteries but would now rather have a psu attached. It's expecting the unreg'd Boss ACA 240 but research suggests that might be a bit of a pain to locate.

Is there a better, more available option?

(It's got keys - I'm way out of my comfort zone).
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5147
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Alternative to Boss ACA 240 PSU.

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:50 pm

I may be missing something, but I just put Boss ACA 240 into a well-know search engine and got loads of 'replacement fors' at around the £10 mark...

... Jus' sayin'
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7549
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Alternative to Boss ACA 240 PSU.

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:22 pm

Yeah, I've probably gone round this the long way, I really haven't quite worked out the 20th century yet.

I got as far as "unregulated 9v is not the same as 9v regulated" and thought I should seek advice. Bleedin' obvious really.

Erm, cheers for your extensive and indefatigable search, Mike. I'll try to learn from your obvious superpower.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5147
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Alternative to Boss ACA 240 PSU.

Postby Folderol » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:35 pm

shufflebeat wrote:Yeah, I've probably gone round this the long way, I really haven't quite worked out the 20th century yet.

I got as far as "unregulated 9v is not the same as 9v regulated" and thought I should seek advice. Bleedin' obvious really.

Erm, cheers for your extensive and indefatigable search, Mike. I'll try to learn from your obvious superpower.

Unregulated is usually just a transformer and cap arrangement. Simple, a bit heavy, and sometimes lets hum though. The voltage can jump about a bit depending on load, but is otherwise clean and (usually) reliable.

Regulated is usually, switch mode, lightweight, and very stable, but can generate some HF noise.
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11445
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Alternative to Boss ACA 240 PSU.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:24 pm

This article might help https://mojostompboxes.com/blogs/archive/correctly-powering-your-old-boss-pedal-aca-vs-psa-simplified but as long as the voltage is right* I would just use whatever I had to hand. In fact there's a possibility I'll have something suitable in my large box of redundant PSUs, PM if you want me to have a look.

* FWIW the article suggests the ACA 240 puts out an unregulated 12V and the voltage regulation is in the pedal so any 12VDC supply should work.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13551
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Alternative to Boss ACA 240 PSU.

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:24 am

Sam Spoons wrote:This article might help https://mojostompboxes.com/blogs/archive/correctly-powering-your-old-boss-pedal-aca-vs-psa-simplified but as long as the voltage is right* I would just use whatever I had to hand.

Very helpful, I had seen a very similar article without the helpful suggestions

In fact there's a possibility I'll have something suitable in my large box of redundant PSUs, PM if you want me to have a look.

I have just such a box and once I've ferreted through that I may just be in touch, thanks muchly.

* FWIW the article suggests the ACA 240 puts out an unregulated 12V and the voltage regulation is in the pedal so any 12VDC supply should work.

There is hope.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5147
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Alternative to Boss ACA 240 PSU.

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:25 pm

Folderol wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:Yeah, I've probably gone round this the long way, I really haven't quite worked out the 20th century yet.

I got as far as "unregulated 9v is not the same as 9v regulated" and thought I should seek advice. Bleedin' obvious really.

Erm, cheers for your extensive and indefatigable search, Mike. I'll try to learn from your obvious superpower.

Unregulated is usually just a transformer and cap arrangement. Simple, a bit heavy, and sometimes lets hum though. The voltage can jump about a bit depending on load, but is otherwise clean and (usually) reliable.

Regulated is usually, switch mode, lightweight, and very stable, but can generate some HF noise.

I think I understand this stuff a little bit but when I dig into the vagueries of the behaviour of forces I realise it's quite a lot like sound and I'm much more a musician than a technician so my general approach of "poke it til it sounds good" could get me in quite a lot of trouble.

Cheers for the input.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5147
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.