You are here

Disassembling Drawmer CMC2?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Disassembling Drawmer CMC2?

Postby miN2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 am

I continually get dust in the pot so have to keep turning it to get rid of the crackle. I'm sure it's getting worse, so my plan was to take it apart and spray compressed air in there in the hope that it'd fix the issue for a longer duration.

However, taking the screws out revealed that this wasn't going to be such an easy exercise. I had a quick search online but it didn't throw up any disasemly guide. Has anyone taken one of these apart? Do i pull the knobs up and off and then just prise the casing off i wonder? :?
miN2
Regular

Re: Disassembling Drawmer CMC2?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:40 am

Have you dropped Drawmer a note asking?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:08 pm

I'd contact Drawmer. I don't know how old your CMC2 is, or what atmospheric conditions it works in, but a crackly volume pot is not something you'd expect in a relatively young monitor controller.

There are potential technical circuit faults that can lead to crackling, or it could be a defective pot... so I'd contact Drawmer first. They are usually very helpful with things like this.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby miN2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:52 pm

I see. It's about 18 months old. It's been cracking for most of that time. I thought it was just dust as it's in quite a dusty environment (multi fuel fire) and the crackle goes away if i keep turning it like crazy for a few minutes. There's also a lot of resistance to the knob when it's crackling, which lossens ups after turning it and getting rid of the crackling.

I'll contact Drawmer. Thanks.
miN2
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:38 pm

When I had problems with my MC2.1 Drawmer went to great lengths to fix the problem even though the unit was out of warranty. I would indeed contact them, they're way up my list of trustworthy companies.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby miN2 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Was a bad pot. They sent me a new one free of charge :thumbup:

To disassemble, pull the 3 knobs up and off and undo the nuts on each of the knobs. Take the 4 side screws out (2 each side). The whole thing comes out like a drawer (prise from the front). Undo the 4 screws on the underside (the 2 washers came off the aux and headphone knobs).

To reassemble, pull the source select, mix check, and mute caps off. Took some effort with some of them and one went flying, at which point i moved to working on the floor. Place the cover back on starting from the front. Then go backwards through the disassembly.

Pretty slick looking electronics, i took a photo.

miN2
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:47 pm

Glad you got it sorted. I have a lot of time for the guys and gals at Drawmer -- they design good, sensible gear and sell it at sensible prices, and still find the time to be genuinely helpful to their customers.

And I'm sure others will appreciate the details dis-assembly instructions.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:21 am

All props to Drawmer for their service but I am very surprised they supplied 'a member of the public' (I assume?) with a VC?

That PCB looks like double sided, plated thru hole? You need some pretty cute de soldering skills to get a pot (6 pins plus lugs?) off it and not bugger the print and that would then give Drawmer quite a problem in repair or replacement.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:58 am

Those pots look like they're on plug-in daughter boards to me, Dave!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Those pots look like they're on plug-in daughter boards to me, Dave!

Ah, so. Your picture and certainly you eyes are probably both better than mine!

Even better "well done Ds" then!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby miN2 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:49 pm

Yeah, for the cost of a pot and postage they've pretty much bought a customer for life. That type of service is so rare that it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The pots pulled off easily. They had the same sort of pin connectors that a computer motherboard has for fans, etc.
miN2
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:41 pm

That sounds like a device that was designed with repairability in mind, something I applaud :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Adam Inglis » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:17 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Those pots look like they're on plug-in daughter boards to me, Dave!

That is bloody brilliant!
Adam Inglis
Regular