You are here

Studio SOS!!!

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Studio SOS!!!

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:31 am

In short, I reckon James' advice is probably correct.

The long answer is that the only way to achieve anything close to what you say you want on a budget is going to be to build a separate structure inside this building, which might be just about doable if the structure is weatherproof, but it will use up a LOT of your internal space.

Think stud walls and joists, with plasterboard on both sides, probably two layers on the inside with green glue/low-modulus silicone between, and Rockwool inside the wall... You'll need an unbroken vapour barrier all the way around the inside of the outer structure too (ceiling, walls and floor). And probably a semi-floating floor or at least a drum platform. Then you'll need double glazing on any windows, and seals around the door, which will itself need to be fairly sturdy. And then you're going to need to think about the internal acoustic treatment... Oh, and don't forget that you'll need to get electrics in there, since you need to design that in from the start. And think how you'll handle ventilation and heating...

In short, it's not a trivial job and as James says it would almost be easier to knock it down and start from scratch — I know a drummer who did just that and built a new structure out of timber in his garden and it works very well for him!

Alternatively, don't use it for drums. Your chances of using it as a mixing space, and only for recording lower-level instruments like acoustic guitar, vocals and DI'd bass/electric guitar, MIDI keyboards and sample libraries etc are greater, since you soundproofing needs are likely less. You could always invest in some V-drums or some such, some good libraries and a good low-latency interface...

In summary: don't be discouraged. But do be realistic!
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby pt007 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:55 pm

I do have the option of putting a structure in the garden of the youth centre instead, which sounds like perhaps a better choice. I like the idea of building a straw bale studio, which would also be a great project for the kids to get involved in. There's a brilliant 'strawdio' that featured on Amazing Spaces a few years ago...

http://www.pindropclub.co.uk/strawdio/
pt007
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:29 pm

That definitely sounds like a better option though soundproofing of a straw bale structure is probably not something that is well documented. I'd guess it would be pretty effective if rendered inside and out. I sounds like a brilliant project to get the kids involved in, please start a thread on here and keep us up to date.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:59 pm

I've always fancied the idea of a straw bale studio too! Ever since the Cowshed appeared at Glastonbury Festival in 2011.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby paulsmusic » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:28 am

Sam Spoons wrote:That definitely sounds like a better option though soundproofing of a straw bale structure is probably not something that is well documented. I'd guess it would be pretty effective if rendered inside and out. I sounds like a brilliant project to get the kids involved in, please start a thread on here and keep us up to date.

Thanks Sam. Yes, if I get approval from the Youth Centre I'll start a thread and post some updates. :thumbup:
paulsmusic
Regular

Postby paulsmusic » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:30 am

Matt Houghton wrote:I've always fancied the idea of a straw bale studio too! Ever since the Cowshed appeared at Glastonbury Festival in 2011.

I spotted that for sale on Ebay about a year ago...not sure what happened to it!
paulsmusic
Regular

Previous