You are here

Multi headphone Out solution for School MacBooks

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Multi headphone Out solution for School MacBooks

Postby Mark6432 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:15 pm

I currently teach A-Level Music Technology with a classroom of 11 old (2012-2015) iMacs. We're now looking to avoid students over-using the headphone jacks, and need a way to co-listen to student's work, so am wondering if there is a cost-effective solution. Ideally it would be a USB to two output device, so avoiding headphone jack and providing the required outs for student/teacher monitoring, but realise this isn't possible because of the power required. A central mixer is also undesirable as teachers would be in close proximity to students when discussing work. Also, even a small interface is going to be costly, given the number of individual machines.

Should I resign myself to audio headphone amps and use the jack out?

Any advice or ideas greatly appreciated!
Mark6432
Poster
http://www.markwhitemusic.co.uk

Re: Multi headphone Out solution for School MacBooks

Postby James Perrett » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:09 am

Can you not use a simple Y cable with two pairs of headphones? Keep the Y cable plugged into the computer permanently to avoid additional strain on the computer connector.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:49 am

Or something like a Behringer HA400 permanently plugged into the Mac and students just plug into that? Cheaper than a usb interface (or at least one with multiple headphone sockets) and probably simple enough to be repairable.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby zenguitar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:00 am

My thought was a Y cable as well, largely as a sacrificial part to save wear and tear on the MacBook sockets.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby resistorman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:13 pm

zenguitar wrote:My thought was a Y cable as well, largely as a sacrificial part to save wear and tear on the MacBook sockets.

Andy :beamup:

That's what I do, even for things like USB jacks if I plug/ unplug a particular one often.
resistorman
Frequent Poster