You are here

Room treatment coming soon

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Room treatment coming soon

Postby RichardT » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:49 pm

I’ve ordered some room treatments (bass traps) from GIK acoustics and they’ll be arriving in the next few days. Looking forward to hearing the improvement! I’ll post when I’ve set them up with my first impressions.

I have to say I’m impressed with the company so far- free consultancy on what treatments would help, and a quick turnaround time.
RichardT
Regular

Re: Room treatment coming soon

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:02 pm

I bought the fabric to cover my DIY panels from Gik, good price, helpful sales staff and quick delivery. I will b buying some more soon.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:51 pm

Also a GIK customer here, good company and I've recommended them quite a bit.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby RichardT » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:29 pm

It’s arrived! Looks nice, and I’ve installed the corner traps and one of the two ‘monster’ traps.

First impressions : far too much bass! I’m going to adjust the frequency response on my monitors to compensate tomorrow. I guess this is because the direct output of the speakers is now dominating and some big nulls have been reduced. I can already hear more detail and more naturalness, and I’m sure that will be even better when the bass is at a reasonable level.
RichardT
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:40 pm

RichardT wrote:... I’ve installed the corner traps and one of the two ‘monster’ traps.
First impressions : far too much bass!

I've lost count of the number of times people have told me they don't want bass traps because "they'll take all the bass out of the room"... When it's more often the case that the reverse is true -- they actually reduce LF cancellation in the room resulting in more (and more even) bass... not less!

Glad you're already appreciating the benefits. It's the best and most effective money you can spend on your studio!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:27 pm

Hear hear!

Glad you can hear the difference already Richard - it can only get better as you balance everything up.

I always say that fitting acoustic treatment makes ALL your existing gear sound better, so it's a bargain at the price ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:43 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm assuming you already have the mirror points treated?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby RichardT » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 pm

Sam Spoons wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm assuming you already have the mirror points treated?

Yes indeed and that made a big difference too.
RichardT
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:17 am

:thumbup: The £300 I spent on acoustic treatment was the best money I've spent on studio gear.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:28 am

Hugh Robjohns

Postby RichardT » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:05 pm

I’m hearing things I’ve never heard before - it’s great! I can still a little smearing going on, but I feel that for the first time I’m subconsciously comparing what I hear to live music at, say, Ronnie Scott’s (which has great acoustics for small bands). So, a big improvement all round.
RichardT
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:13 pm

RichardT wrote:I’m hearing things I’ve never heard before - it’s great!

That's always a classic giveaway that you've managed better 'audio resolution'.

I can still a little smearing going on...

At the risk of incurring the wrath of sensible engineering-style folk, I've recently got significantly sharper imaging by exploring possible improvements to my cabling. First off I replaced some of my core mains cables (power amp, DAC, and PC) with better quality DIY ones (thicker 14 AWG cable, with decent quality mains plugs and IEC connectors that offered increased contact area and pressure, for lower impedance connections.

Then I treated all my mains plugs and distribution boards with DeOxit to remove any corrosion and further lower mains impedance, and finally I clipped on various ferrite beads to digital cables (Internet Router, USB etc.), as well as close to the output of various Switched Mode Power Supplies (to help prevent the inevitable RFI escaping into the outside world).

Total cost was only tens of pounds, but the difference in stereo imaging (i.e. lack of smearing) was astonishing!

Might be worth a try ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:34 pm

Modifications that lower ground impedances via mains connections and that reduce RF garbage flying around would both be beneficial in all sorts of ways...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:13 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Modifications that lower ground impedances via mains connections and that reduce RF garbage flying around would both be beneficial in all sorts of ways...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Hugh - as soon as folk see 'replacing mains cables' there tend to be some adverse reactions from some quarters, but I could certainly hear the difference ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:22 pm

You know that what most 'sensible engineering type folk' get exercised about are the super expensive £1500 mains cables and 'interconnects' ostensibly made from platted unicorn hair (or whatever they are claiming is the current holy grail). If 'one of those sensible engineering type folk' (i.e. your good self) posts on here that doing some careful optimising and cleaning of his system cables has made a noticeable difference then the rest of us 'S.E.T.F.'s are likely to take notice. Now where's that bloody Unicorn got to......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Next