You are here

Room treatment coming soon

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Room treatment coming soon

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:38 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Now where's that bloody Unicorn got to......

Alive and well... but it's let itself go a bit and gained a little weight around the midriff...

Don't say anything... still a bit sensitive about it... :lol:

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:41 pm

Screen wipes please Hugh :D :D :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby RichardT » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
RichardT wrote:I’m hearing things I’ve never heard before - it’s great!

That's always a classic giveaway that you've managed better 'audio resolution'.

I can still a little smearing going on...

At the risk of incurring the wrath of sensible engineering-style folk, I've recently got significantly sharper imaging by exploring possible improvements to my cabling. First off I replaced some of my core mains cables (power amp, DAC, and PC) with better quality DIY ones (thicker 14 AWG cable, with decent quality mains plugs and IEC connectors that offered increased contact area and pressure, for lower impedance connections.

Then I treated all my mains plugs and distribution boards with DeOxit to remove any corrosion and further lower mains impedance, and finally I clipped on various ferrite beads to digital cables (Internet Router, USB etc.), as well as close to the output of various Switched Mode Power Supplies (to help prevent the inevitable RFI escaping into the outside world).

Total cost was only tens of pounds, but the difference in stereo imaging (i.e. lack of smearing) was astonishing!

Might be worth a try ;)

Martin

Definitely sounds worth trying!
RichardT
Regular

Postby RichardT » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 pm

I did my first mixing with the treatment in place today. I found that at first I dialled back reverb effects because they were much easier to hear, so much so that when I checked the mix on phones everything sounded disconnected. Something to get used to.

I also had the experience of listening to a track and thinking there was something wrong because it sounded so different from my initial phones mix. But there wasn’t, it just sounded so much cleaner.

So I can certainly join the club of people who think room treatment is a godsend!
RichardT
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:27 pm

:clap: :thumbup: :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:47 pm

RichardT wrote:I did my first mixing with the treatment in place today. I found that at first I dialled back reverb effects because they were much easier to hear, so much so that when I checked the mix on phones everything sounded disconnected. Something to get used to.

I do my basic mixes through loudspeakers, but always have a several-hour session under headphones to fine tune, both for EQ and for effect levels, and invariably this results in an even better loudspeaker mix when I switch back (well it does for me anyway).

I also had the experience of listening to a track and thinking there was something wrong because it sounded so different from my initial phones mix. But there wasn’t, it just sounded so much cleaner.

Now this is where I find Sonarworks Reference 4 software such a boon - it helps to make both my (various) headphones and my little ATC loudpeakers sound similar, so that you get no nasty surprises when switching from one to the other.

Well worth investigating in my opinion, as the loudspeaker version using the budget measurement mic really improved my stereo imaging by tweaking L and R to balance out EQ anomalies due to a window on one side of the room.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby RichardT » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:05 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
RichardT wrote:I did my first mixing with the treatment in place today. I found that at first I dialled back reverb effects because they were much easier to hear, so much so that when I checked the mix on phones everything sounded disconnected. Something to get used to.

I do my basic mixes through loudspeakers, but always have a several-hour session under headphones to fine tune, both for EQ and for effect levels, and invariably this results in an even better loudspeaker mix when I switch back (well it does for me anyway).

Now this is where I find Sonarworks Reference 4 software such a boon - it helps to make both my (various) headphones and my little ATC loudpeakers sound similar, so that you get no nasty surprises when switching from one to the other.

Well worth investigating in my opinion, as the loudspeaker version using the budget measurement mic really improved my stereo imaging by tweaking L and R to balance out EQ anomalies due to a window on one side of the room.

Martin

I use Sonarworks headphone edition already, but not the full thing. That’s a good thought.
RichardT
Regular

Postby RichardT » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:28 pm

I decided I needed a bit more bass-trapping and got a little bit more from GIK. What a difference! Somehow I seem to have crossed some kind of threshold and the sound is now radically improved.

Now I need to up my production skills to match! The good bits sound great, but the rest...
RichardT
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Yes, that's what I found. I went from 'this is great' to 'oh god this sounds terrible!'
Now I'm trying to learn to improve with it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous