You are here

Extending Eurorack power to a second rack

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Extending Eurorack power to a second rack

Postby Durr GaGa » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:42 am

Hi Folks,

I have a small Eurorack system based around two Mother 32s, a DFAM, a Subharmonicon and various typical Eurorack modules (Maths, Plaits, filter, Disting 4, Doepfer ADSR etc.)

When I started the project, I made the decision to only use 60HP boxes for aesthetic reasons (yeah, I know!) and the two that I have for my modules are powered by TipTop eZeus PSUs.

I am now considering adding a Behringer 960 Sequencer module which takes up 56HP leaving exactly enough room for another eZeus PSU. However, with the case AND the PSU, the Behringer starts getting a little expensive so I wanted to use some of the spare current capacity in one of the other racks to power just the 960 which draws +12v 100mA and -12v 50 mA. My plan is to make up two 4HP modules, both with a 180° 5 pin DIN socket, one (power OUT) with a 10pin IDC socket and the other (power IN) with a 16 pin IDC socket suitably connected internally. This would allow me use two standard Eurorack 10-16 pin ribbon cables, one to connect the power out module to the eZeus bus and the other to connect to the 960 in the second rack. I would then use a standard MIDI cable to connect the two units together (remaining mindful of NOT EVER connecting MIDI to either in the future!). This would save a lot of money.....

I have some questions:-

1. Would this be likely to induce any hum loops or other unwanted noise artefacts?

2. If the answer to 1. is YES, would making up my own DIN cable using a shield and 5 core audio cable resolve the issue?

3. Is this the stupidest idea ever?

Some advice from those in the know would every much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk

Re: Extending Eurorack power to a second rack

Postby resistorman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:39 pm

Not an expert, but it seems like it should work. Just popped in to suggest using XLR connectors since you only need +/-12v. More secure connection and less likely to mistakenly plug midi in.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:16 pm

The MIDI spec requires MIDI ins and outs to be opto-isolated. So there shouldn't be any risk of accidentally blowing anything up.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Durr GaGa » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:26 pm

resistorman wrote:Not an expert, but it seems like it should work. Just popped in to suggest using XLR connectors since you only need +/-12v. More secure connection and less likely to mistakenly plug midi in.

Thank you, for that - great advice about using XLR connectors as this would be much safer!

zenguitar wrote:The MIDI spec requires MIDI ins and outs to be opto-isolated. So there shouldn't be any risk of accidentally blowing anything up.

Andy :beamup:

Indeed, they should be protected thanks for your input.
Durr GaGa
Regular

Regards,

Steve
www.nightskyimages.co.uk