You are here

Loft conversion studio/office

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Loft conversion studio/office

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:32 pm

Folderol (from another thread) wrote:I'm wondering what type of lights you're fitting to the dangly bits and how you're attaching them. I always stick some wood between the joists behind the plasterboard with something like a 30mm hole for the danglys. That way you have a secure mounting whatever you use, and no worries about maybe changing the fitting later.

That'll all be taken care of by the sparky. The dangly bits are only there to facilitate installation of the lights after the ceiling boards are up. The fittings will be lightweight shallow circular LED lights set flush into the double-layered ceiling plasterboard itself.

These are all positioned mid-way between the ceiling timbers, have no rigid attachment to any of the timberwork and will therefore be at one with the ceiling on the resilient bars.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:08 am

Why not incandescent? Don’t you find LEDs freak your eyes out?
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:38 am

Can you find incandescent bulbs anymore? Here in D'uhmurca we only gets them LED doo-hickies
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Stop making stupid people famous.

Postby Luke W » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:07 am

You can still get some sorts here, but we're largely moving towards LED, especially for domestic applications. I've never found any to bother my eyes, I didn't know that was a thing?
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Folderol » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:21 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Folderol (from another thread) wrote:I'm wondering what type of lights you're fitting to the dangly bits and how you're attaching them. I always stick some wood between the joists behind the plasterboard with something like a 30mm hole for the danglys. That way you have a secure mounting whatever you use, and no worries about maybe changing the fitting later.

That'll all be taken care of by the sparky. The dangly bits are only there to facilitate installation of the lights after the ceiling boards are up. The fittings will be lightweight shallow circular LED lights set flush into the double-layered ceiling plasterboard itself.

These are all positioned mid-way between the ceiling timbers, have no rigid attachment to any of the timberwork and will therefore be at one with the ceiling on the resilient bars.
Ah yes. That figures.
Carry on, nothing to see here :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:09 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Why not incandescent? Don’t you find LEDs freak your eyes out?
LEDs all the way here, no freaky eyes. Modern LED lights are very different from the ones that were first available.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:38 pm

When I looked at early LEDs from my peripheral vision I could see them vibrate in a weird way. They drove me nuts. The “white” colour was wrong. A neighbour has new ones in his shop and there is still something wrong with them, almost like the visual version of tinnitus to me.

We had an electrician here 2 years ago and he was of the opinion that there were going to be LED related lawsuits in the next few years. He was familiar with LED issues but I can’t remember the specifics.
I am hoarding incandescents.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:00 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:

Won't the holes negate the soundproofing to some extent, surface mounting them would allow you to fill the wire holes with acoustic filler? I have square, surface mount, LED panels in my room and they work great.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:16 pm

Funnly enough I was pondering the same thing after writing my previous post. I'll talk to the electrician about it :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby James Perrett » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:25 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:When I looked at early LEDs from my peripheral vision I could see them vibrate in a weird way. They drove me nuts. The “white” colour was wrong. A neighbour has new ones in his shop and there is still something wrong with them, almost like the visual version of tinnitus to me.

There are different ways of driving LED's from the mains. Some use a simple capacitive dropper circuit while others use a full switch mode power supply. The simple ones will flicker which the ones using a proper power supply don't. In fact, I have some here that fade away when you switch them off over half a second or so which looks a bit like a halogen bulb. The colour of the better ones is hard to tell apart from the equivalent incandescent bulb.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Folderol » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:51 pm

James Perrett wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:When I looked at early LEDs from my peripheral vision I could see them vibrate in a weird way. They drove me nuts. The “white” colour was wrong. A neighbour has new ones in his shop and there is still something wrong with them, almost like the visual version of tinnitus to me.

There are different ways of driving LED's from the mains. Some use a simple capacitive dropper circuit while others use a full switch mode power supply. The simple ones will flicker which the ones using a proper power supply don't. In fact, I have some here that fade away when you switch them off over half a second or so which looks a bit like a halogen bulb. The colour of the better ones is hard to tell apart from the equivalent incandescent bulb.
They have made dramatic improvements over the last few years, and direct on (rectified) mains is a rarity these days- except for a few night-lights. The issue with large displays is that traditionally, they were matrix driven with each lamp only of for a very brief part of the sequence. With incandescent or phosphor based ones that's not a problem as they smooth out the light output. LEDs of course are instant on/off. Quality ones these days still use a matrix, but this hits drivers for the LEDs which have a latch for each LED to hold it on until the next cycle. You won't see any flicker from these.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:21 pm

This is reassuring. Some people couldn’t see the flicker.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:07 pm

James Perrett wrote:The colour of the better ones is hard to tell apart from the equivalent incandescent bulb.

And you can also now get them in different colour temperatures - I prefer the lower 2700 'Warm White' for a vintage feel.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:59 pm

I think you might potentially get a few expensively awkward questions from building control about ventilation of the space, and fire protection .

if you're lucky the inspector won't actually know what they're doing and may not ask.....

Sadly those vents on the windows.... basically throw most of your isolation work in the bin

as to wiring.

on any isolation build, the most effective solution is just one entry point for power, then all wiring surface mounted internal to the isolation

every single penetration WILL reduce the performance of the isolation.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Mostly Retired from Audio.... If I already know you I'll help,  if not....    Ask Hugh Robjohns, unless that is you're in need of 80's shred guitar... that, I'm still interested in having fun with...

Previous