You are here

S/PDIF to hi fi amp

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

S/PDIF to hi fi amp

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:47 pm

For a couple of years I had been running a cheap surround sound amplifier from the S/PDIF optical output of my smart (ish) JVC TV. The quality seemed 'adequate' and was extremely useful because the op-out not only fed TV sound but also any other inputs into the TV both 3 HDMI sources and analogue.

Then I decided to install the large Mission speakers I had inherited along with an Arcam Alpha 6+ amplifier, doing away with the grotty ssound system...Problem. How to get all the sources from the TV into the Arcam amp?

First thought. I have two Minidisc recorders with optical i/o. Yes, that worked but,
1) I cannot record the sound because of copy protection, that I was not too fussed about but,
2) The *&^% display flashes ALL the friggin' time optical is selected! VERY bright it is too!

Solution: The "Techhole" (shutup that boy at the back!) S/PDIF to analogue converter. Both optical and RCA in and RCA out plus a 3.5mm H/P jack which delivers more than enough level into my AKG K 92s and, as most of you know I am pretty mutton!

The sound quality is excellent AFAICT. Even R3 is super clean on piano and large orchestral and choral forces.

Never brightens up for long do it? All is still working perfectly but, even though music from R3 seems perfectly balanced, bass and middle (treble is all lost to me) speech on TV and even some R3 is very 'chesty'. I wonder if even the BBC are 'warming up' voices sometimes for an 'intimate' effect?

SO, any of you got a bit of kit with a digital output you cannot use? Get a techole.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=techole&ad ... vrzdznfr_e

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: S/PDIF to hi fi amp

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:56 pm

Any bright LEDs, displays or power lights here (including the power board twin lights that illuminate my entire bedroom!) get a healthy slap of blu-tack.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:19 pm

The Elf wrote:Any bright LEDs, displays or power lights here (including the power board twin lights that illuminate my entire bedroom!) get a healthy slap of blu-tack.
UGH!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:07 pm

Interesting - looks very similar to the Fiio Taishan D03k than I've been using (and suggesting here for similar applications) for a few years.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:12 pm

Thanks for the Techole link Dave - looks like a bargain at that price if it does what you want and sounds even remotely good.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:14 pm

James Perrett wrote:Interesting - looks very similar to the Fiio Taishan D03k than I've been using (and suggesting here for similar applications) for a few years.

Hmm... Apparently there are three different versions of that one James - 1 and 2 sound really good, but 3 seems a distinct downgrade in audio quality, so caveat emptor.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:40 pm

ef37a wrote:All is still working perfectly but, even though music from R3 seems perfectly balanced, bass and middle (treble is all lost to me) speech on TV and even some R3 is very 'chesty'. I wonder if even the BBC are 'warming up' voices sometimes for an 'intimate' effect?

No generic 'warming up' Dave. At least not on mainstream TV channels and programmes like the News. If it sounds 'chesty' then it's more probably the positions of your speakers in the room, or the speakers themselves. It would be worth checking the TV settings just to make sure there's no EQ going on, but my money would be on the speakers and/or room effects.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:17 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:All is still working perfectly but, even though music from R3 seems perfectly balanced, bass and middle (treble is all lost to me) speech on TV and even some R3 is very 'chesty'. I wonder if even the BBC are 'warming up' voices sometimes for an 'intimate' effect?

No generic 'warming up' Dave. At least not on mainstream TV channels and programmes like the News. If it sounds 'chesty' then it's more probably the positions of your speakers in the room, or the speakers themselves. It would be worth checking the TV settings just to make sure there's no EQ going on, but my money would be on the speakers and/or room effects.

I am sure you are right Hugh and it is the room, about 4 by 3 mtrs and the speakers are not optimally positioned, just a few cms from the front wall in a bay window but I have little choice at the moment. They are Mission 775s and are big! I have the ports stuffed tightly with foam but that seems to have made little difference to the bass response.

They do sound bloody good though! Really clean and dynamic on music and imaging is pin sharp. They belonged to my son-in-law and he was into heavy metal (I am not really but I enjoy it at parties!) but they seem to cope with classical music very well and really shine on jazz, bull bass and piano is stunning.

So, I shall put up with the 'honk' on speech and the bad positioning AND the untreated room until I can afford my Sixes!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Adam Inglis » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:29 am

ef37a wrote:Solution: The "Techhole" (shutup that boy at the back!) S/PDIF to analogue converter. Both optical and RCA in and RCA out plus a 3.5mm H/P jack which delivers more than enough level into my AKG K 92s and, as most of you know I am pretty mutton!

Thanks Dave - that is exactly what I need (for a similar situation to yours)

Did you get the one with the volume control?

cheers
Adam
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:39 am

Adam Inglis wrote:
ef37a wrote:Solution: The "Techhole" (shutup that boy at the back!) S/PDIF to analogue converter. Both optical and RCA in and RCA out plus a 3.5mm H/P jack which delivers more than enough level into my AKG K 92s and, as most of you know I am pretty mutton!

Thanks Dave - that is exactly what I need (for a similar situation to yours)

Did you get the one with the volume control?

cheers
Adam

No VC Adam just optical or RCA in, RCA and 3.5mm stereo jack out. They supply an optical cable and a USB A to micro cable but note, no RCA-RCA audio cable but then I have a few!

I was also pleased to find that it powers from one of the USB ports on my TV so it goes on and off with that. Job's a good'un!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster